TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Possibility of using miata flywheel / clutch?  (Read 1251 times)

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
Possibility of using miata flywheel / clutch?
« on: July 14, 2022, 10:38:46 AM »

Hi does anyone know if it's possible to use a miata flywheel and clutch combo on our xr2 cars, doing a bit of research I can see they both use a 22 tooth spline, the only reason I can see it not working is if the 22 tooth spline has a different diameter.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this? If possible it opens up the possibility of tougher more readily available clutches. Thanks for any info

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Possibility of using miata flywheel / clutch?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 09:27:39 AM »

The Miata clutch has a much smaller diameter, it is the same as the N/A capri clutch
If you're trying to hold down power you want that 225mm diameter clutch

There's a decent array of clutches available for the XR2, you may want to look for the probe GT 2.5v6 for more options, it is the same clutch
Fidanza makes a billet flywheel for the XR2 (note the probe gt 2.5v6 flywheel has a different number of bolts to the crankshaft, not the same)
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 10:21:53 PM »

Only the 93 and older Miatas with the 1.6L use the same 7.875 inch diameter clutch as the N/A Capri. The 94+ Miata uses a 8.5 inch which is still smaller then the XR2's 8.875.

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 05:59:22 AM »

It's the 1.8l miata clutch / flywheel I'm interested in,  from what I can tell the 1.6 b6 miata uses the same crank as our xr2's and the 1.8 flywheel / clutch can be installed on a 1.6 miata, so would bolt to our cranks too, 1.6, 1.8 and xr2 all have the same 0. 937in 22 spline input shaft and I have read the starters are equally offset.

I could be missing something but in my head it works, I am really interested to find out as I have seen a sprung twin disk clutch/flywheel combo I would like to try

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/325210643389?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=jxEzz3mxQV6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=rI0PMQfYT1O&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The clutch I have in the car is supposed to hold 352ft/lbs / 345hp but is not up to the task, it only lasted a handful of pulls before starting to slip. I need something that's gonna grab. The first thing I'm gonna do when the new clutch is in after a few tuning pulls is hit up a power run on a dyno, I'm thinking it's got 400hp+ it's getting up to 32psi on a gt3076r with 10.9 AFR's.

There is a beat up 1.8l miata clutch and flywheel on face book for 50 bucks if I can't find out if it works I may buy it and try installing it for confirmation so I don't waste heaps of money if it dosent.

Again any info anyone has is very appreciated.

Dave R
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 06:01:37 AM by Aus Capri »