TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: doors won't open  (Read 1702 times)

johnpic

• 1991 xr2
doors won't open
« on: January 06, 2022, 01:37:51 PM »

Well we may get 2-4 inches of snow here in the Lehigh Valley so I figured this would be a good time to put the battery on a tender & cover up the car. Good idea except neither door will open. I had a problem with the passenger door from day one & when I went to open the driver's door today it unlocked but something felt like it broke when I pulled up on the handle. Oh well, I may as well get some use from AAA since I pay for a membership. John

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: doors won't open
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 08:32:13 PM »

Didn't realize you were in the lehigh valley! Howdy neighbor!

My one capri the door handle was real finicky, there's a specific way I had to grab the door & handle and apply pressure to get it to open.

The somewhat good news is the Capri is stupid easy to break into, what with the lack of a window frame. A piece of steel rod or straightened coat hanger can slip past the window trim and grab the interior door handle without much effort

Once open you can unscrew the door panel and get a look inside to see if anything is broken or needs adjustment
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 08:40:58 AM »

My '91 has to have a regular applications of WD40 to work well. On the lock mechanism and the latch mechanism. If you did break the little plastic loop on the handle, the handle is reversible so you can use it on the other side. Good luck.
Jack Byrd

johnpic

• 1991 xr2
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 08:46:55 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I did cover it up before the snow came & probably won't work on it until Spring. So Rocketman, do you live in the Lehigh Valley or nearby? John