TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Aftermarket seats  (Read 3504 times)

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
Aftermarket seats
« on: December 09, 2021, 11:14:56 PM »

Hi all - I've got an issue with the seats in my capri. They are horribly damaged/rusted and the upholstery is completely shot. I've been working on getting them removed so I can have them wire brushed/re-upholstered when someone suggested that I simply replace them. I think this is a brilliant idea as the stock seats are horribly uncomfortable to begin with. Does anyone know of any seats that would fit? Perhaps seats from a mazda miata? I don't know if the floor bolt spacing is a standard thing.. I love the idea of going out to a junkyard and getting some better seats. It would save me the hassle of repairing mine. Thanks in advance!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Aftermarket seats
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 07:54:14 AM »

I can sympathize with you. I adapted a set of MB SLK seats to my '91. In the process of looking, I discovered that most seats are either too low (Miata. SLK etc.) or too tall. The second problem is the seats don't fold for access to the rear seat (Miata, SLK, etc.).  The 1989/99 Mazda 323 seat might bolt in, but I haven't been able to find any. The 323GT had a really cool looking seat, the problem is they would probably in as bad a shape as ours. A Mustang or Eclipse seat might be a good height but most seats out there are too tall. Of course, if you're short, that wouldn't be a problem. Good luck and keep up informed. You might do a thread with pictures in the projects thread.
Jack Byrd

owent616

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 09:53:06 AM »

My seats are horribly rusted and literally drops rust dust anytime i fold them forwards or backwards, seats are def on my list to replace. Do any of these fit without having to makeshift a mount?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 11:58:11 AM »

/Unfortunately the only seats that fit are Capri seats. If you could find some 88/89 Mazda 323 seats, you can check to see if they might fit.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 04:46:34 AM »

/Unfortunately the only seats that fit are Capri seats. If you could find some 88/89 Mazda 323 seats, you can check to see if they might fit.

So my red chassis, the one I got from Matt, has some sort of period correct non-Ford cloth bucket seats in it. I don't remember what exactly he said they came out of, but I wanna say it was something like a '91 Civic or similar. Anyways, aside from he fact that they are blue, they seem to fit the car perfectly. So there's definitely stuff that'll fit, you just need to go to a pick and pull yard with a tape measure

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 09:29:02 PM »

So my red chassis, the one I got from Matt, has some sort of period correct non-Ford cloth bucket seats in it. I don't remember what exactly he said they came out of, but I wanna say it was something like a '91 Civic or similar. Anyways, aside from he fact that they are blue, they seem to fit the car perfectly. So there's definitely stuff that'll fit, you just need to go to a pick and pull yard with a tape measure

They are Capri seats, I think from a 93 model. Ford changed the fabric a bit each year.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 05:30:53 AM »

They are Capri seats, I think from a 93 model. Ford changed the fabric a bit each year.

Are you sure? The head rests are different from every other Capri I've ever seen, they aren't the rectangles with the holes in the middle. Then again, I'm sure you're the one who put these seats in there, so I'm sure you'd be the one to know

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 04:10:27 PM »

I am fairly positive. I had a set of seats from a 90s civic but was unwilling to cut up the floor mounting rails to make them work at the time. They got moldy and I tossed them.

I believe the seats in it now are from a 92 or 93, John Purdy from western PA delivered them to me at one of my Northeast meets years ago. He drove 300 miles with the top down in his Capri, seats sitting upside down on the rear seat and top lid, haha. Post a picture if you can I'll try to figure it out
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

JJ

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 08:38:40 PM »

The headrest comes out, right? maybe there was a diff style that fit and someone swapped?