TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Headlight Troubleshooting - any further tips?  (Read 4945 times)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Headlight Troubleshooting - any further tips?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2022, 02:13:32 PM »

If you are applying power directly to the motor then yes it will keep spinning, running up and down.
There is a headlight control module under the dash, that sends a signal from the headlight switch to the headlight motors. It also "reads" the rotary switch inside the motor. May be worth tracking it down and seeing if it has good connection.
I think the headlight control module just sends power to the motor, and when the rotary switch reaches a certain position it knows that it's either up or down and applies or removes power to the motor as needed.

In this image here, the copper "fingers" that touches the disk - one of them is not as bent. It may be making poor contact. Bend it toward the disk to match the others, to give more tension

Remember there are electrical diagrams over at https://www.techcapri.com/Wiring.html
Best of luck, keep us updated

1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

GermanXR2

• XR2 Turbo
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2022, 03:12:28 PM »

Thanks a lot for your help!

I'd like to use a cable connection from the right side car plug to the left headlight plug.

I think it's less work as to change the motors.

Maybe another user can help with the position of the disk.

GermanXR2

• XR2 Turbo
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2022, 04:11:54 PM »

I try to route a 5* cable from the right (working) headlight to the headlight motor (left, only open not close) and connect. Althrough i use new cable shoes i cannot get any connection.
So i dismount the right headlight and connect to the wiring harness of the left headlight.

Motor works fine, up and down as it should be. The wiring harness or the control module can be excluded.
Then i open the working motor, to compare it with the non working one.

Both headlights were in "open" position, the position of the disks deviates approx. 20°.

Picture 1 is the "defect"

Working one

Is this deviation the reason?

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2022, 07:15:59 PM »

So I'm in a similar situation to you, but I can't help yet. Neither of my headlight motors work, although I can move them by hand. Once I get around to troubleshooting it, I can let you know what I did and found. Sorry I can't be more help, but it's an issue I haven't had time to get around to yet. I'm moving these weekend or I'd go out there with my power probe right now and at least figure out power and ground to the motor for you.

Sorry. Will report back when I can.

GermanXR2

• XR2 Turbo
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2022, 02:30:12 AM »

Thank you for your message.

I really appreciate Capri drivers supporting each other.

Once again, a big THANK YOU from Germany to everyone!

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2022, 04:56:09 AM »

EShepherd if both light don't work, then I would start with the HLM fuse in the engine bay electrical box first.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2022, 08:20:20 AM »

I try to route a 5* cable from the right (working) headlight to the headlight motor (left, only open not close) and connect. Althrough i use new cable shoes i cannot get any connection.
So i dismount the right headlight and connect to the wiring harness of the left headlight.

Motor works fine, up and down as it should be. The wiring harness or the control module can be excluded.
Then i open the working motor, to compare it with the non working one.

Both headlights were in "open" position, the position of the disks deviates approx. 20°.

Picture 1 is the "defect"

Working one

Is this deviation the reason?

That's interesting. Can the gear be relocated to match the working one?
Jack Byrd

GermanXR2

• XR2 Turbo
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2022, 02:25:23 PM »

Today I disassemble the lift headlight motor.
Based on the disk position of the working one, I turn the disk to match.

Completed, press the center consol button, both headlights pop up.
I press again, right motor goes down, left stays open.
Total disappointment.

Then I turn the motor with the manual knob at the engine bay, approx. two turns.

Again the button at the center console. And it works. I can't believe it.

I looks that the control module got now a signal from the moved disk.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2022, 10:28:53 AM »

Today I disassemble the lift headlight motor.
Based on the disk position of the working one, I turn the disk to match.

Completed, press the center consol button, both headlights pop up.
I press again, right motor goes down, left stays open.
Total disappointment.

Then I turn the motor with the manual knob at the engine bay, approx. two turns.

Again the button at the center console. And it works. I can't believe it.

I looks that the control module got now a signal from the moved disk.

It does, sounds like you just need to move it a little more. Good luck.
Jack Byrd

GermanXR2

• XR2 Turbo
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2022, 02:07:10 PM »

The Merc is kidding me.

The headlights work two days .... now the same.....blind on one eye.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2022, 09:06:46 AM »

Oh no! I'm getting the same thing, I'm trying to save a car with only 13K miles on it that set for over 20 years and corrosion has taken hold of it.  One problem after the other.
Jack Byrd

blueamber

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2022, 11:13:06 PM »

It seems like your motor is stopping very fast, not allowing the cams to align correctly for control of the lift down signal.  Your turning the knob a little kind of proves this, it hasn't quite rotated enough to allow the signals to properly flow through the cam.  Does the bad motor turn a little slower, or make more noise than the other one?  Try backprobing the motor voltage at the connector without disconnecting the motor, then try it disconnected.  Maybe lower voltage getting to the motor causes it to rotate slower.

Have you swapped motors and did the problem follow the motor?  If so, then the motor is at fault.  You might try a thin lubricating oil on the bushings of the motor shaft, that may help it rotate better.

Also, check the lift assemble for ease of lifting, maybe oil the hinge on the lift assembly, that may be binding a bit.

I've got a pile of good motors if it comes to that, just pay for postage and one is yours.

blueamber in Florida

GermanXR2

• XR2 Turbo
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2022, 02:17:00 PM »

Sorry for the delayed answer.

If both headlights working, both shut up and down equally and at the same speed. The noise is also the same.

The hinges are smooth-running. I had already opened both motors and noticed that the metal disc was positioned differently. I adapted the "defective" one to the working one. Cleaned and re-greased everything.

Any other idea?

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2022, 04:30:02 AM »

The common problem with headlights is the hardened lube inside the motor. Corroded grounds are also a problem. I've been trying to get my turn signals working for six months.

Hey, I hate to thread-jack Mr German XR2, but I noticed your comment here and I had to ask for more details. I'm having an issue with my left hand turn signals. Both the front left turn signal bulb itself is not working (with a new bulb), as well as the green left arrow indicator in the gauge cluster. I haven't pulled the gauges out to check that bulb. I really haven't done anything to troubleshoot  this yet. The car doesn't move, so why bother? But for my future selves' reference, I'd love to know wtf happened to yours that took 6 months to figure out.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2022, 08:31:25 AM »

Easy first step for turn signals is to use a battery brush on the sockets and a little grease. Of course, all seven, I think, grounds in the engine compartment need to be cleaned and greased.
Jack Byrd
Pages: 1 [2] 3