TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32

Author Topic: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod  (Read 52855 times)

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod
« Reply #360 on: November 20, 2022, 05:14:16 PM »

Small updates. So today we had an ambient temperature of 22 degrees, with a nice balmy wind coming in from Buffalo (whom just got 6' of snow dumped on them), gusting at about 65mph. And arctic cold. My garage is a tent, and entirely not conductive to working in near zero degree weather. I did manage to get as far as putting my valve cover back on with new gaskets, putting my lower timing cover back on (for the timing marks, then it'll probably come back off), and starting to put my water pump pulley back on. That's about when my frozen fingers decided they didn't want to maneuver the 10mm bolts into their homes in the 1 inch of working space.

I have made a few discoveries that may explain my no start, though. First, my fuel filter was super clogged. Like, can't blow through it at all. I replaced that. Second, I had been spraying the starting fluid into the air box. If I knew for sure my intake and intercooler piping was all air tight, that may have worked. But I don't, and so it didn't. Third, I am unsure if I had my distributor rotor clocked correctly. Now, the camshaft is slotted so it can only go in two ways. I also know these cars use a waste spark system, so I don't know if it's even possible to have it backwards, but I do know my rotor was not pointed to #1 with the engine at TDC at #1. So, I fixed that, too. Hopefully, one of these will do the trick.

Also hopefully soon, winter in NY will stop being so damn cold.

Oh also, https://www.ebay.com/itm/140815094704?fits=Year%3A1991%7CModel%3ACapri%7CMake%3AMercury&hash=item20c93bd3b0:g:LNAAAOSw6TxelfJc&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8Mbdlit2TzA8lf1ehPDHBF06%2F1FTE71EooFomq%2B1oKhesssNm08KRkCqtgN3Zov9Cm70MRLj8asy1MPbZx4jTwL275pfET5As6JNAr2qIXA4EAwJxX%2BXId9OEnI0a%2Bk3tzA2gS9dx9G8oDTdbd6F3r1fT1v%2BJD6AwWcHhTrsWi4bLMaXFfem6CbT60V7vBfiTP5hYzTfFqdpdH9ZxCainAJSbXb26OFTE7rpQUU%2Fy3q0wTkkArDjS0AMBJMqTICgoFVN1X96ZOVfzYzVvsPFC7HzLXYYAdxyKsxau%2FACDh2WLIDv%2BDovtq9N3uuRTzGNLA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM6OC7pJJh I found this on Ebay, and I'm tempted to buy it. Anyone know if this is THE FSM?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 05:26:58 PM by EShepherd »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #361 on: November 21, 2022, 04:55:15 AM »

Not a wasted spark system, that's a thing for coilpacks. If your rotor wasn't pointed at #1 that's a big issue.
Camshaft is slotted but offset, so distributor should only be able to go in one way. Didn't use a hammer did you?? haha
Make sure you have #1 TDC on compression stroke and not on exhaust stroke when checking the rotor.
Good find on the clogged fuel filter.

Regarding the FSM:
"Factory Authorized Reproduction" in the listing, so no not a FSM, likely a pile of printed pages - real FSM is a well-organized 3" thick 3-ring binder, at least for 1991
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 04:57:58 AM by Rocketman »
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

« Reply #362 on: November 21, 2022, 05:20:48 AM »

Not a wasted spark system, that's a thing for coilpacks. If your rotor wasn't pointed at #1 that's a big issue.
Camshaft is slotted but offset, so distributor should only be able to go in one way. Didn't use a hammer did you?? haha
Make sure you have #1 TDC on compression stroke and not on exhaust stroke when checking the rotor.
Good find on the clogged fuel filter.

Regarding the FSM:
"Factory Authorized Reproduction" in the listing, so no not a FSM, likely a pile of printed pages - real FSM is a well-organized 3" thick 3-ring binder, at least for 1991

Missed the offset in the dizzy. Also unsure if I was on compression or exhaust stroke, so you're probably spot on there. No, I didn't use a hammer, or the dang bolts to draw the dizzy into the head  :-X It's supposed to be in the 50s on Thanksgiving though, and I'm off work....so perhaps that'll be the day.

Shame about that Ebay listing, that's the closest I could find to an original. I think I'm still going to end up buying it. There's also a ton of OEM owners manuals for the Capri on ebay, and I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff too. Looks like a neat little brown leather wrapped notebook.

EShepherd

« Reply #363 on: November 27, 2022, 05:53:58 AM »

Guys...

She LIVES!

I'll try and get a video up later. I only ran it twice yesterday; my exhaust is open right after the downpipe so it's very loud. I went out and got a straight section of pipe, a pair of clamps, and a tool to flare the end of the pipe. I'm gonna need to at least mostly fix the exhaust leak before I heat cycle it, otherwise the angry old woman across the street is likely to call the cops on me. All I did was put it back together with the rebuilt alternator and the new fuel filter. Gave it a tiny little shot of starting fluid right into the throttle body, and she turned right over. Doesn't sound super healthy, and it wanted to keep stalling out if I didn't give it a little gas, but running is running. I'm pretty confident that a proper heat cycle, an oil change, and a good hard look for vacuum and boost leaks is all it really needs.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #364 on: November 27, 2022, 10:23:05 AM »

Congratulations
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #365 on: November 27, 2022, 06:32:42 PM »

Thanks man! As promised, and a long (long) time coming;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y1NmdiXO2e0wYIWlBXJeeIvFmchyVuGp/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xxCL-Z6p15nGzgrx1j1ONxeZ73z0pfUP/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xrlel12gbHmXmxP8ybObLvZuTkIp9-D_/view?usp=sharing

You can actually hear the slow progression of my starter motor's death, if you listen to those videos in order. It takes a few tries to get it to engage now, but I've sort of been expecting it. I really did abuse the daylights out of the poor thing, trying to figure out the no start and no crank issues. But either way, heck yes. Finally.

I got axles and trans fluid into it, and both front brakes bled. Then I ran out of daylight. I believe I just need to bleed the rears and patch the exhaust, then I should be able to drive it. At least, up and down my driveway. I need tires, paperwork, and license plates before I can go much further with it. Probably brakes, too. I also know it needs strut assemblies all the way around, I'm just unsure of how badly. The front mounts look and feel pretty toasted.

nachius

• formerly 91 n/a, now a 91 xr2 being built
« Reply #366 on: November 27, 2022, 09:28:17 PM »

Holy Freaking Awesome!  It got colder here in Ohio and I have lots of stuff going on so my progress has been slow, but you keep going I'll keep going ;)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #367 on: November 28, 2022, 08:30:51 AM »

That's great man, keep the progress coming.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #368 on: December 04, 2022, 11:52:36 AM »

I'm trying to figure out why this thing doesn't want to start without spraying starting fluid. Does anyone know how I can test the fuel pressure regulator? Is there any sort of easy spot on these cars to test fuel pressure? And lastly, does anyone know a part number for a direct fit replacement fuel pump? The one I ordered ages ago off Rock Auto was physically too small.

The car does move in both reverse and 1st!

Edit- After a deep dive through some historical posts on here, this is what I've come up with. I should tee into the fuel system at the line going from the inline fuel filter to the fuel pressure regulator, and from there I can measure fuel pressure. I can't find an exact spec, but the service manual mentions something like 33psi above manifold pressure...so I imagine I want something like 41psi? Depending on what reading I get, I'll decide if it gets a new pump or pressure regulator. I did remove the vacuum hose at the top of the FPR, but did not find liquid fuel within. My gut is telling me it's the FPR, but I'd like to be positive before dropping $150ish on a replacement.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 07:04:09 PM by EShepherd »

EShepherd

« Reply #369 on: December 07, 2022, 05:33:51 AM »

Have I entered uncharted territories here? There are just TWO fuel pressure regulators on Rock Auto. One says its around 38psi, and one says its around 44psi. Both are around $150. Then there are also about two dozen fuel pumps, and not a one of them looks like it's a direct fit. I'm tempted to just order whichever pump looks closest, and then whichever FPR looks less cheap.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #370 on: December 07, 2022, 08:18:58 PM »

It does not sound like you are having an FPR problem
Still sounds like bad gas (despite you having added some fresh to it)
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

« Reply #371 on: December 08, 2022, 05:20:34 AM »

It does not sound like you are having an FPR problem
Still sounds like bad gas (despite you having added some fresh to it)

Well, I'm gonna be super salty if that's the issue. I put about 4 gallons of 93 octane in it, and that was only maybe a month ago. I  know my fuel pump works (at least a little). I have no clue how to check my fuel pressure regulator. It won't start without starting fluid, and then when running it sounds like it wants to stall (and will if I don't hang the throttle open). This is all pointing to a fuel issue.

I'm stubborn, so I ordered a replacement FPR last night. Thanks Greywolf I actually remembered your discount code. If that doesn't do it, I'll put even more gas in it. If that also doesn't do it, then I guess I have to pull the pump back out, measure it, and find a replacement.

EShepherd

« Reply #372 on: December 11, 2022, 08:26:50 AM »

In an effort to not waste a day full of free time, albeit a shitty cold snowy day, I have made some plans. My fuel pressure regulator won't get here until tomorrow (of course), so I'm dead in the water on that front. I dug out the fuel pump I ordered back when I rebuilt the engine which I know is too small. Carter pump, P/N P72165. My calipers show me my mistake - this pump has an outside diameter of 1.5", whereas the factory pump is about 2". The carter pump did come with a little rubber condom which makes it slightly fatter, but still not 2". My Google-Fu tells me that this pump will provide adequate flow for the car at the correct pressure, all I need to do is make it fit. I'm optimistic that a trip to the hardware store will provide me with something that'll make this fat enough to mount into the tank securely. Very likely a fatter rubber condom.

I also plan on picking up 4 more gallons of fresh gas for the car. If the Capri has taught me anything, it's to take Rocketman's advice. I haven't checked if there's an easy drain point on the tank, but I guess I could push the old gas out the line to drain it. I really don't -want- to waste about $20 of gas, but whatever. Maybe I'll stick it in my Altima.

Hopefully one of those two things will fix my mystery fuel issue. I don't want to heat cycle the fresh engine with this problem, because I have no idea if it is running lean. It almost has to be though, since it'll stall out after a few seconds without opening the throttle up. I definitely don't want to run it lean. Once I can get this issue resolved though, I think it'll be ready to drive. I've managed to pull it in and out of the garage without too much drama.

Oh, I also need to figure out one more exhaust coupler for my janky catalytic converter delete. I have a flex pipe in place of the factory Cat now, and it's solidly attached to the downpipe. I'm just having issues getting it attached on the muffler end. I do have a tail-pipe expander and clamps, I just need to right sized coupler. More excuses to go to the hardware store! The honeycomb/catalyst in my factory Cat was falling away in chunks, so I'm really not all that fussed about chopping it off. I do need to have a qualified individual put together an actual exhaust soon....this is all just temporary. I can't have an open downpipe where I live.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #373 on: December 12, 2022, 07:56:20 AM »

You don't mention what RPM the engine is trying to run at when you crank it. I wonder if the IAC isn't doing it's job to increase the idle at cold start. Mine do 1500RPMS or more.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #374 on: December 22, 2022, 07:51:16 PM »

You don't mention what RPM the engine is trying to run at when you crank it. I wonder if the IAC isn't doing it's job to increase the idle at cold start. Mine do 1500RPMS or more.

I can't imagine a failed IAC would cause a no start, but I could be wrong. We'll have to wait and see. The car seems to want to idle around 800-1000ish RPMs at cold start idle, but that's only for a brief moment before it wants to fall on it's face. That's also on starting fluid, so who really knows how useful that information is. If you could point me in the direction of diagnosing a faulty IAC, I'd appreciate that. I'm not even sure what the symptoms of a bad one would be, other than the obvious poor idle quality. (I can not express how much I enjoy being this clueless about all this old automotive technology, given that I'm diagnosing modern cars on a daily basis. One day, when I have my Capri running properly, I'd love to write a sort of 'modern' service manual for the car. Common things that fail, how to check them, stuff that breaks, stuff that you should probably update, etc. That information, with part numbers for stuff that's actually available, would be a godsend to anyone else trying to restore one of these old girls.)

Some information I did dig up in the FSM pertaining to fuel system diagnostics: 12-16 ohms is the spec for the resistance of the factory injectors. 220-380cc/10 seconds is the volume of fuel you want to be able to flow from the pump. 64-85psi is the fuel pressure you want to see at the outlet to the fuel pump. 37-41psi is the fuel pressure you want to see at the engine with the vehicle running at idle.

I have the FPR and am ready to drain out and refill the fuel tank. I also have a new (cheap Autozone) starter, just in case my OEM unit is as cooked as I suspect. Alas, winter is totally upon us. The car is pretty much parked for the winter, and it's unlikely to see much progress in the coming months. It's too cold to work on it, and even if I get it street-able, the roads are salted. I'm already aware of two locations in the floor pan that need rust cut out and patch panels welded in - so absolutely not driving this thing in the salt. Odds are, even if I get it running properly sometime next spring (which I honestly expect I will), I'm gonna end up paying a body shop to fix the little cosmetic issues and then paint it ($). So probably no winter driving for this Capri ever.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32