TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32

Author Topic: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod  (Read 54834 times)

McClain

• 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod
« Reply #420 on: July 17, 2023, 07:19:16 PM »

Does anyone know what I'm supposed to use for a gasket between the VAF & the air-box? I think I have found my intake leak, but I'm unsure how to fix it. Where the air-metering part of the VAF meets up with the air filter part, I've got a tiny little leak. I tried using RTV to fix it, but no go.

My mechanic friend won't stop singing praises about ThreeBond 1207B-100 silicone.

On the advice of Matt, I tried to re-seal it with paper gasket-maker & a small amount of RTV. It definitely improved the idle quality, but it still stalls out if I let the throttle fully close. I assume there is either another vacuum leak, or it's still leaking at the VAF. If that's the case, I'll give the ThreeBond a shot.

Anyone have a creative solution to smoke test my car, without needing an air compressor? The VAF was the only thing that looked suspect, after giving the intake system a very thorough visual inspection.

I don’t know if this will help, but if you flip the hose on your shop vacuum so it will blow and try and use it that way, but if you don’t have one then I’m out of ideas, used the shop vacuum to try and find exhaust leaks a while back, spraying soapy water in it to see where it bubbles also is an idea, sorry I can’t help more. Anyone have advice on a leaking soft top, the windows don’t always line up and it likes to leak, I just am out of ideas. Best Luck finding the leak finding the air leak!

I like the new guy, guys.

Brb, off to Walmart for a shop vac.

Hope that works for you!! Definitely gotta update us on more when you get there! Love hearing about it!!

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #421 on: July 17, 2023, 07:42:41 PM »

Bad news is, the shop vac shenanigans didn't really help me out. I bet I can get it to work, but I didn't have the time.

Good news....the car MOVED UNDER ITS OWN POWER! Like, a quarter of a mile. It's extremely tricky driving & shifting while also not ever letting the throttle plate fully close....but fuck it after all these years I'm gonna call that a first successful road test. The rose gold wheels look cherry, too (from 5 ft away).

I'll get pics and vids up eventually lol

PS- the god awful belt squeal at start up. Uhh, looser? Tighter? It doesn't wanna stop. I'm not complaining, but the old lady across the street might

McClain

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #422 on: July 17, 2023, 09:05:42 PM »

Bad news is, the shop vac shenanigans didn't really help me out. I bet I can get it to work, but I didn't have the time.

Good news....the car MOVED UNDER ITS OWN POWER! Like, a quarter of a mile. It's extremely tricky driving & shifting while also not ever letting the throttle plate fully close....but fuck it after all these years I'm gonna call that a first successful road test. The rose gold wheels look cherry, too (from 5 ft away).

I'll get pics and vids up eventually lol

PS- the god awful belt squeal at start up. Uhh, looser? Tighter? It doesn't wanna stop. I'm not complaining, but the old lady across the street might
Glad to hear it’s running, sorry the shop vac didn’t help a ton! I had a horrible time with my belt is was squeaking so much and even broke at one time, ultimately I had to try and tighten it a ton and it went away, I hope that you can figure it out!

Blobfish

• 1992 Ford Capri XR2
« Reply #423 on: July 18, 2023, 04:16:42 AM »

Glad to hear it’s running, sorry the shop vac didn’t help a ton! I had a horrible time with my belt is was squeaking so much and even broke at one time, ultimately I had to try and tighten it a ton and it went away, I hope that you can figure it out!

Out of curiosity is this the alternator/water pump belt your talking about. I had trouble with my alternator belt squealing for years and tried all sorts of different belts and re tightening it, all to no avail. Eventually I found out there was an oil leak which was spraying oil on the belt and since getting the leak fixed and putting a new unsaturated belt on it's been perfectly fine.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #424 on: July 18, 2023, 07:48:04 AM »

Glad you got to drive it. Yeah belt needs to be really tight. Also are you using a stock belt or the belt used by experienced owners?
Jack Byrd

McClain

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #425 on: July 18, 2023, 08:53:02 AM »

Out of curiosity is this the alternator/water pump belt your talking about. I had trouble with my alternator belt squealing for years and tried all sorts of different belts and re tightening it, all to no avail. Eventually I found out there was an oil leak which was spraying oil on the belt and since getting the leak fixed and putting a new unsaturated belt on it's been perfectly fine.
Actually yeah it was that belt, I couldn’t believe how had it was the get it to go away, and fortunately it wasn’t and oil leak, from what I had to go through it felt like a faulty design because the belt needed to be tighter but there was no actual belt tensioner but we made it work. Have you heard of capris with a tensioner?

EShepherd

« Reply #426 on: July 18, 2023, 05:54:50 PM »

Glad you got to drive it. Yeah belt needs to be really tight. Also are you using a stock belt or the belt used by experienced owners?

Ah damnit you caught me...probably. I bought the belts like 3 years ago, when I was younger and dumber, and yeah it's probably the wrong belt lol. You got a part number I can reference? In the meantime, I'll just crank down on this bad boy and see if I can get it to stop screaming at me.

Still need to figure out the vacuum leak, although now that the car is mobile, I have this option: a large sum of money goes to whomever wants to make the thing run properly. If you have a smoke machine and a free weekend, I'm not playing, You don't even need to fix the leak, just help me frigging find it.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #427 on: July 19, 2023, 08:05:17 AM »

"You got a part number I can reference?"

Dayco 17360 or equivalent
Jack Byrd

McClain

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #428 on: July 19, 2023, 09:49:42 AM »

Thanks so much, gonna have to check the belts I have replaced!

EShepherd

« Reply #429 on: July 19, 2023, 05:56:34 PM »

Thanks. My records show I ordered a Gates 7355 & Gates K040345. My google-fu is failing me, I can't figure out if it's the same part or not

NEDREBEL

• 19 RAM, 91 XR2, 78 VOLARE, 67 RAMBLER REBEL
« Reply #430 on: July 20, 2023, 01:42:00 PM »

In Gates you would want a 9360, it is one size wider and one size longer than what you have

EShepherd

« Reply #431 on: July 20, 2023, 05:29:15 PM »

In Gates you would want a 9360, it is one size wider and one size longer than what you have

Such sadness, but thanks for letting me know.

EShepherd

« Reply #434 on: July 22, 2023, 07:18:19 AM »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JErXHTULxV5C6Zaj1pSPG8v7ZY-vTtQ1/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JgYJj3xc7FGrEFcQFgeSmeaiIEC_up_d/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L_NOb8PRnclRBqSHKY5Vu10Bn6sASuTJ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KFleFq0LfVfbhNb6vcJs3qKlQYayLPDk/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LgFj1lb_LvU2Aefz1MEU-yEArTCs8qGs/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LcR6JXwYQN0bWdEsmBxFfu47H1jz3rni/view?usp=sharing

Out of her dungeon:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LNFA00Yp6ouW4_SLEJKrSM00pOjSdwaS/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LBYnlnpN8wyIITJqIsPJxfhsppIovMxF/view?usp=sharing

And bonus preview of the next project (I know literally nothing of body work/paint):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LSg2DA2qJQDNGWw1PnfspW2hL--_hIfa/view?usp=sharing

Aww man I’m so jealous, you have had such good progress!!! I’m excited to see the body work and hear about it I’ll definitely have to get some tips from you after you do it!

Yeah, I've been on the fence about trying to deal with the body DIY for a while...but I think I'm gonna end up just going for it. It works out fairly well. I ended up with those side skirts, which are in ROUGH shape. That's actually ideal as far as I'm concerned; it gives me a pair of pieces to practice on that I'm not even sure I want to use. Then there's the fact that every body panel with the exception of the rear fenders comes off of the car fairly easily. That should allow me to go one panel at a time. Also, I have the giant tent thing in my yard....shove a couple fans in there and it's almost a paint booth.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32