Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Engine & Drivetrain Swaps

Call me crazy

<< < (2/2)

Rocketman:

--- Quote from: Gaz on August 26, 2020, 08:10:05 AM ---The weak point is in the diff hardware, though, isn't it? The Mfactory unit is supposed to solve that, right?

Sure, the third gear deal may be a problem, but I've seen some neat trans-saver devices on the market lately that give me hope.

--- End quote ---
The diff is the first weak spot, yes.

The 3rd gear is a problem when you have enough power, this has been proven by the high-hp Mazda guys. It is caused by the mainshafts flexing, which no trans-saver devices can prevent.
There have been trans saver devices dating back 20 years in the Ford Probe communities. None have proven to be a sure-fire fix. These are usually to mitigate case flex, which can exacerbate mainshaft flex.

The best I've seen is the billet steel bearing plate for the 5th gear side, it requires machining out the whole end of the transmission case where the mainshaft bearings seat, and it replaces the bearing seats with a billet steel piece. How effective is it? Even the guy who makes it isn't sure

http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?56023-GB-5th-gear-plate-mod

But I mean look at the effort and cost of these solutions, for something that will still probably grenade at 350hp?

The g-series just isn't an option for that kind of power. Fortunately very few Capri owners are making anywhere near enough power for it to be an issue

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version