Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Engine & Drivetrain Swaps

Has there ever been an attempt for a V8?

<< < (2/2)

chrispoe:
You couldn't pay me to attempt a v8 swap in a Capri...LOL
Gm v8 engines are V90s which is too wide for the Capri's short engine bay. I also already measured a FWD Northstar setup and found that the engine with its' rear cylinder bank pushed back to the firewall, the front  cylinder bank/exhaust manifold would be out to the bumper and the length of the engine with tranny was about 6 inches too long.

The only v8 that I might consider would be the 3.4L V8 from the late nineties Taurus SHO mated to a 5 speed tranny from the Ford Contour SVT or 3.0L Mazda6.

Rocketman:
I was thinking of that SHO V8. It's a Yamaha engine, IIRC. They had some issues but would probably be the best candidate for fitment. I think they are pretty rare nowadays though

LGCapri:
An SHO V8, I didn't even think of that. And it's a Ford engine too, so I can have a Ford car with a Ford engine lol. This all sounds like a great idea

Skunkwrkz:
I'd be up for the 1st and 2nd gen SHO V6 coupled to the 5spd. There is much more aftermarket support for the Yamaha Built V-6 engine that redlined at 7,000 RPM, achieved 0-60 in 6.6 sec in stock trim and was cool looking enough to make an engine table out of the intake manifold.

The 3rd gen (Which I owned at one point) was like comparing the original 240Z to the Digital dash " Ghettofabulous" Z31 300ZX of the mid to late 80's. The V8 did have heads from Yamaha and block from Cosworth but it only came in "slush-o-matic" (yes, I know you can swap in the Contour 5spd but....) Separation of the "bang sticks" from its sprocket was implicated in a growing number of engine failures, at around 50,000 miles This problem could be rectified by having the camshafts welded however.

No comparison.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version