TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: new convertible top recommendations  (Read 7084 times)

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
new convertible top recommendations
« on: April 17, 2016, 10:29:12 AM »

Hello fellow Capri owners,
I am going to buy a new top for my '93 Xr2, and have found many different brands and manufacturers online..
any one have any input as to which ones they like, or dislike. any experiences good or bad ?
thank you for any input ?
Darren

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: new convertible top recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 10:49:43 PM »

Buy the expensive one from Roo-Sport the quality is superb much better then the cheaper tops on the market. Make sure you get the right size for your frame otherwise it will be a pain to install.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 11:09:40 PM by WashiestSnake »
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 09:13:04 AM »

When I did mine, I found there was really only two, the plastic and the fabric.  I went with the plastic because I only gave $500 for the car and have regretted ever since.  Seems when I was doing my research, only one company was actually manufacturing the tops and there were lots of companies selling them.  Others experiences may differ.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 11:05:06 AM »

Huh i didnt know it was only one company, i thought Russ was able to get another company to make a better quality top. To be honest i never use my convertible top since i daily it, so most the time its hardtop for me except during the summer.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 05:26:45 PM »

I'm just the opposite.  When I got in a few minutes ago and I put the top up, I didn't even latch it because tomorrow I'll just put it back down again.

Jack
Jack Byrd

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »

I have cats, so keeping up the top risks it being destroyed by them, plus I like the rigidity the hardtop gives to my car. If I didn't have cats id never use the hardtop unless it was extremely rainy.

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 06:38:22 PM »

There are several companies making tops....some are good - some...not so much. As far as quality/price goes, I've found that you get what you pay for.

Roo-Sport carries both vinyl and upgraded "cloth" tops...vinyl is available in white or black, and the canvas tops are black.
If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, I highly recommend the cloth - it should outlive the car. I have one here that is 16 years old, and it's just starting to show some wear.
Vinyl tops are $239, and I will do cloth to TC members for $425, shipped (catalog price is $450+s/h)

Give us a call, if you are interested! 503-919-4227

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 08:53:28 PM »

I'll second that the cloth tops are well worth the extra cost.

Jack
Jack Byrd

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 03:18:09 PM »

I知 in the same boat as the OP, my top is shot and I知 currently looking for a replacement too.

I did find one place a while back that made them custom with different fabrics and even provided an option of a tinted rear window too. Just wish I could find the website again.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 07:24:38 AM »

Keep us informed.

Jack
Jack Byrd

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 08:32:16 PM »

I知 in the same boat as the OP, my top is shot and I知 currently looking for a replacement too.

I did find one place a while back that made them custom with different fabrics and even provided an option of a tinted rear window too. Just wish I could find the website again.

Not sure, but I think you might have been looking for CTG...
https://www.convertibletopguys.com/convertible/447/1989-94-Mercury-Capri

No?

If I ever replace mine ('twas new 3 years ago), I'd see if any custom maker would provide a canvas top with a zip-out back window. I have a 91 with the almost new top, a spare brand new 94 vinyl top, the 94 roof bow assembly, a hardtop, and a tonneau cover, so I have plenty to work with, but I'd seek that canvas job if I have go replace mine.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 10:10:06 PM »

Why the Zip out window Shown? I know the Miata has it like that to protect it from getting scratched/damaged, but the Capri has a Tonneau cover to do that already

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 11:15:50 PM »

No?

If I ever replace mine ('twas new 3 years ago), I'd see if any custom maker would provide a canvas top with a zip-out back window.

Check out boat covr makers neasr you, if you have any....I had a local guy offer to do a zip-out window for $100...but you may have to tell them it is for an off-highway use/show car, as the plastic they use for the windows in boat covers is not D.O.T. compliant.
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 07:06:31 AM »

The zip out window is great on those sunny days when you want the sun off of your head, but you want the breeze flowing through. With the back window in, the top is always getting blown out of the tuck channels. Hey, a good part of my 50 mile daily commute is a section of highway that does about 75mph. That always blows the top out the edges with the windows down.

BTW, good idea about checking the boat repair shops. I live less than 15 miles from Lake Michigan. I don't know if there is a standard for convertible plastic, and I have to wonder if the reason boat plastic goes bad might be the rediculous amount of UV light that it is always exposed to on the water.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:13:19 AM by SHOwn »
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 09:23:17 AM »

No?

If I ever replace mine ('twas new 3 years ago), I'd see if any custom maker would provide a canvas top with a zip-out back window. I have a 91 with the almost new top, a spare brand new 94 vinyl top, the 94 roof bow assembly, a hardtop, and a tonneau cover, so I have plenty to work with, but I'd seek that canvas job if I have go replace mine.

That's the same description and options I found everywhere when I was doing my research.

Jack
Jack Byrd
Pages: [1] 2