TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Capri Owner and Member of Forum  (Read 7784 times)

Sedona Hiker

• 1993 Capri non-turbo, Mustang, T'Bird
New Capri Owner and Member of Forum
« on: December 31, 2015, 01:33:28 PM »

Hello everyone. I just purchased a 1993 Capri non-turbo on eBay. Had it shipped from Indiana to me here in Sedona AZ. I wanted a project and boy do I ever have one. As I work on my Capri, I'll be asking for advice from the group and I wanted to thank you in advance for your help. The current task is to replace the bushings in the shifter (I just ordered 4 bushings from NAPA - thanks for the information on this). I'm also in the process of installing a new convertible top. It's chilly here in Sedona right now so I think I'll have to wait until the temperatures rise this spring before I can complete the stretching process.

I'll probably repaint her. She's been repainted once and the repaint is peeling around the rear metal retainer and on top of the bumpers. I've never attempted painting a car. Does anyone have suggestions on how difficult this will be and what equipment I'll need?

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: New Capri Owner and Member of Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 08:02:21 PM »

Pictures please sounds like a good project.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 04:26:56 AM »

You have your hands full. Why didn't you buy a local or southern car? IN sounds like rust. :)

I hate sanding and painting. I do know when you go to painting plastic bumpers and other flexible parts there is an adhesion promoter and flex additives you need to educate on. Otherwise you are asking for spider cracking and peeling early on. Lately many are using Plastidip type paints. You don't like it you peel it off like a sunburn. :)

Sedona Hiker

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 02:33:56 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm lucky because there isn't any rust on her, although the exhaust system shows some (particularly the heat shields over the catalytic converter). I looked for a local Capri but didn't find any that were reasonably priced and a project. I was looking for something to work on (Im retired so have some time to do things I've always wanted to do).

Here's some of the things I've done so far.... The drivers seat cover was toast so I replaced it with a passenger side cover from a 1991. Same color grey but slightly different pattern. It came with a hardtop installed so I made a storage rack for the hardtop. Glovebox handle was broken so replaced it with one from Roo-Sport. I replaced the trunk support struts because the trunk wouldn't stay up.

I've gone from looking for a project to having more than I can handle. Two days ago the hood release cable broke (it's a lot of fun opening the hood when the cable is broken). And yesterday, the fuel pump on my 2002 Thunderbird failed (at least that what I think is causing the "no start" condition. When it rains, it pours!

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 08:26:04 PM »

Too bad you had to go to Indiana for a Capri. I have a friend looking to part with his XR2 in . A western car as well.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 08:26:54 PM »

That would be in Phoenix.

Sedona Hiker

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 07:06:53 PM »

Tell me more about the Phoenix Capri. I've been watching a red XR2 down in the Phoenix area on eBay and Craig's List for about 3 months. It hasn't sold (low miles but high price). I wonder if it's the same one.

Sedona Hiker

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 07:13:49 PM »

Is his name Mike from Chandler?

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 10:34:01 PM »

nope not Mike

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 10:41:44 AM »

Hope you have a heated garage and a snow shovel , looks like you'll be needing it today ! I'm up near Chicago, we have been to Prescott and really like it there, have to look you up next time we're out there and compare notes . Have a '91 here and doing pretty much the same as you , project and keep busy !

Sedona Hiker

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 02:35:33 PM »

The garage stays about 55 degrees in the winter here. I don't need a snow shovel although there is snow on the ground today. Should be gone by tonight but more is predicted tomorrow. Got the new hood release cable installed. Only took me 4 hours.

Prescott is a great city. We go there to do the heavy shopping (and Trader Joe's). That's also where the Upick AZ is located (a huge salvage yard) that has one Capri for picking. It's a white 1991

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 06:37:43 PM »

Never saw the UPICK auto mall around there, I'll have to check it out ! How did you get the hood open when cable busted ? Always think about that even with our newer cars...

Sedona Hiker

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 08:35:44 PM »

I was able to use a piece of rebar (thin and strong) and snake it through the grille and actuate the hood release lever that would have been actuated by the cable. Then I left the hood open until I installed the new cable. Pulling the new cable proved to be a challenge. The procedure is to attach a lenght of "mechanics wire" (18 gauge annealed wire) and pull the old cable into the interior of the vehicle. But half way there, the cable got hung up and when I tried to pull it back, the wire broke. Ended up removing the left front wheel and splash shields. There I found the end of the cable. So with some strong words and new wire I was finally able to get the cable out, the wire attached and then pulled it back into the proper position.

I installed the new shift bushings tonight. What an improvement in shift feel!

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 08:59:55 AM »

Well, now you got me going. Since it's down for the season, I'm going to see if I can rig a emergency release of some sort for peace of mind. Your new cable store bought or homemade ? Haven't googled new cable replacements yet .
Is the cable sheathing one continuous piece or is it in sections ??

Sedona Hiker

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 03:27:24 PM »

I bought the new cable on eBay for $30. It has a one piece sheathing and fit perfectly. Sold by seller blueamber. Maybe you want to contact him/her and see if another is available. I think modern capri parts may also sell them.
Pages: [1] 2