TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Exhaust Overhaul  (Read 11662 times)

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
Re: Exhaust Overhaul
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »

$300 is a great overall price, I hope to be in that range as well.
Sidenote, the 1994 models don't have OBDII, right?
I'm trying to choose between these cats:
http://www.carid.com/magnaflow/pre-obdii-catalytic-converter-mpn-53004.html

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/flo-2200120

The flowmaster cat in your second link has an air supply line on the side and is not the correct type.

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 02:27:10 PM »

Thanks for pointing that out!
I went with a the Magnaflow cat and also a Magnaflow stainless steel muffler. That came out to $157. I got quoted $250 for install and piping, does that sound reasonable?

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 02:17:04 AM »

I ordered my parts in 2" diameter, but now I'm thinking I might want to do 2.25", which would be better for a turbo setup…or would 2" be fine for the turbo engine?
Would 2.25" do any harm on the n/a engine?

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 10:34:03 AM »

250 bucks doesn’t sound too bad to me depending on what they're all doing. Just make sure the shop does mandrel bends and welds it instead of crush bends and crappy crushing pipe clamps, and if possible try to keep your old cat so you can recycle it yourself.

Generally when it comes to turbos, the bigger the exhaust the better, but a 2 inch exhaust would still be an upgrade for a XR2 even.
As for putting a 2.25 inch exhaust on a stock N/A  1.6l, that won’t harm it, but you might lose some power in the lower rpms while gaining some in the higher rpms.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 10:42:59 AM by chrispoe »

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 10:54:08 AM »

Thanks, I'll just stick with 2" for now. Now I called a bunch of exhaust places asking for quotes, and I made sure to ask if they did mandrel bends or not, and they all said no. One guy referred me to a shop that does do mandrel bends, and it was crazy expensive.
Are mandrel bends really that expensive/intense?
I'll definitely make sure they weld it.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 05:47:04 PM »

Not being able to get mandrel bends is another reason to go with 2 1/4" .  When it is crushed down at the bend it is still 2" or larger.  In NC when shops do an exhaust system, they always weld it to prevent leaks.  I personally like clamped joints so it can be removed without cutting pipes.  There are clamps available that clamp over a wide area rather than the cheap U-bolt type.  Check out pipe clamps at Summit.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 03:21:04 AM »

Mandrel bending machines are crazy expensive. They require a pretty highly trained operator. This all has to be paid for.

I buy individual mandrel bends online, and weld the exhausts together myself at home.
On my GTXR2 I put several flanges so the system can be removed easily, in 3 large pieces. (downpipe, mid-to axle, then behind axle)
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 03:41:43 AM »

What about the resonator? Does it sound better with or without it?

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 10:10:15 AM »

I buy individual mandrel bends online, and weld the exhausts together myself at home.
On my GTXR2 I put several flanges so the system can be removed easily, in 3 large pieces. (downpipe, mid-to axle, then behind axle)
That's pretty much the same thing I did.

What about the resonator? Does it sound better with or without it?
Depends on what type of sound you want.
A resonator or glasspack will make the exhaust quieter. It will also reduce the raspy ricer sound 4 bangers make with larger pipes and it helps reduce the annoying drone while cruising too.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:15:29 AM by chrispoe »

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 02:15:50 PM »

I went with no resonator, straight pipe between cat and muffler. For the tailpipe, I went with 2.25" crush pipe vs 2" mandrel bent, much cheaper, looks better coming out the back, and the slightly diameter should help counteract the crush bends.
Total cost was $500 and it sounds awesome! The low rumble around 2000 RPMs sounds like a big V6.
I'll post a video on the Facebook page, hopefully get some GoPro footage as well.
Pages: 1 [2]