TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: auto trans fluid leak?  (Read 2384 times)

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
auto trans fluid leak?
« on: September 14, 2015, 08:52:21 PM »

I think I may have some type of auto trans fluid leak from a seal near the manifold.  Does that sound plausible?  No spots on the ground but there is an odd non-oil / non-antifreeze smell after driving.  trace smoke in engine compartment and what appears to be some kind of fluid saturation on the lower part of the engine block.  The AT shifter is very stiff too (doesn't slip easily between gears).

Any ideas?
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: auto trans fluid leak?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 10:05:54 PM »

Check your tranny to cooler hoses. They run over in front of the engine and the wind might be blowing it back. You can look through the front lower air dam just left of center and see the tranny cooler. It might be as simple as tightening your hose clamps. If it's like mine there is a splice about halfway in one of the hoses. That might be a MacGyver fix and not OEM. :)