TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: 93 runs and dies  (Read 2809 times)

jazzzrunner

• 93 Capri, Jeep Wrangler, Chrysler T&C
93 runs and dies
« on: June 12, 2014, 02:29:51 PM »

I have had my 93 capri for about a year.  When it is running I love it, but have had off and on fuel system problems.  I have changed the fuel pump, fuel presure regulater, plugs, wires, and distrubor cap, as well as the MAF. Every time I work on it runs better for a few weeks and then goes back to a similar problem. It will run fine and then will lose power or just cut off.  If I am driving at a good speed I can turn the key off and back on, pop the clutch and it takes off again for few minutes or miles and then will die again.  I can also turn it off and crank it back up again and will be fine for a while.  I am thinking ECU as the next step. Please help.

She is not pretty but she is fun to drive :), when she runs :(.  I just have to get the engine reliable then I will try to get her looking better.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: 93 runs and dies
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:41:01 PM »

When she dies & you crank the engine, does the tachometer needle bounce? That would point to a problematic ignitor in the distributor ( a common problem) which will result in the loss of spark as well as fuel. (the ignitor itself is relatively inexpensive, the whole distributor is not)

There's a procedure for pulling codes via the check engine light - no scanner or tools needed, just a paperclip or jumper wire. When you pull the codes, do you get anything?

Welcome to TeamCapri hope we can get you sorted out & enjoying your car again soon :)
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Sceeter

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 08:53:49 AM »

Check for water in your gas I had the same symptoms pull fuel filter replaced, drain tank added dry gas an water free gas an was fine.

blueamber

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 10:34:10 AM »

Well, rocket, to be clear, a bouncing tach needle does not indicate a problematic ignitor, but the lack of bouncing would... I know, I say diagnostic stuff over and over again, why don't people just read my mind, I KNOW what I mean...  :P Chris

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 03:27:50 PM »

Yes you're right Chris! My thoughts don't always come out clearly anymore :D
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"