TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hi I'm new  (Read 105618 times)

zoom zoom

• 93 Festiva (Fiona), 97 Aspire (Babyspire)
Hi I'm new
« on: February 11, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »

Hi all, new here! I'm buying a couple b6t's in the near future and I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row before I try to swap anything. I don't know if I'll even be using them this year but eventually one will make it's way into a Festiva.

Hopefully I can learn what I need to know between here and the Festiva site. I have a sohc b6 in my current Festiva and I love it. The stem seals and front main need replaced but it's not that bad they will work for awhile longer. Never had a turbo car so I am really excited about this deal I'm getting.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Hi I'm new
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »

Welcome Matt what ducks do you need? And why a couple B6T's? :D

Turbos are addicting!
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

zoom zoom

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 09:32:45 AM »

Just a couple turbo related components that I'm not familiar with. I may need to come up with a relay here or there if it's not attached to the two harnesses I'm getting, maybe a knock box, who knows what I will end up needing haha..

I'm buying 3, the first one has 160k and a "newer" turbo but the manifold is cracked. Supposed to be a good engine. Comes with the Capri harness and Ecu, and the guy I'm buying it from is going to mark the wires that need spliced for me to make it as dummy proof as possible.

So I'm gonna get another engine that has a vj11 with a good mani but the wastegate was welded shut and it was over boosted for who knows how long, owner says it just smokes a little like bad stem seals but I won't know till I get it and tear into it.

Then the third has a bad head gasket, unknown turbo, obviously works he ran the car for a few minutes just NO power like a clogged exhaust, good manifold and wiring harness and possibly the Ecu with this deal if I can talk him out of it.

So basically what I'm tentatively planning and might not even happen but I might get a wild hair and do it one weekend if think I have the stuff and I feel up to the challenge....

Swap manifolds on engine 1, drop it in The Festiva and make it run, make sure everything is wired properly and try to figure out what turbos are about. If I like the power I have a g series with an MFactory LSD that will be bolted to the engine I build out of 2&3 with miata pistons and a vj11/14 from the two junk turbos. I don't want to jump all in and be neck deep in modifications at once with nothing to show for it. I need a car I can beat on daily, so no long term garage queen projects for me. I already learned that lesson lol..

Swapping from stock to g series transmissions is a weekend project in itself, having to do custom mounts and check binding in the axles. So at first I want to just use the stock trans, it's about to go anyway and I got spares so it doesn't matter.

I don't think I'll be posting anything about it on the Festiva site for personal reasons. :)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 12:20:08 PM »

The manifolds on just about every B6T are cracked. Most of the cracks are not large enough to cause any issues, I've only ever seen one that was bad enough to need replacement.

Engine with a VJ11? Wastegate welded shut? I'd pass on this one unless you get the trans with it. Azgtx usually has a line on VJ11 to make hybrids with, this one sounds like it was beat to piss.

Why not swap the G-Series in there to begin with & do it right? It's well known that the F-series doesn't play nice with the B6T. Why swap in a fun engine if you can't play with it? :D

If you need fab work done head out this way we can make it happen!

zoom zoom

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 10:02:40 PM »

Haha that's a seriously tempting offer! I don't want to get in too deep, I work a lot of hours (70+) so my time is limited. I need to do it in steps for my own piece of mind.

For the price of #2 I can't pass it up lol... Who knows when you might need a spare head or something off the block. The used fuel injectors alone are worth more than the price of the motor.

zoom zoom

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 05:06:48 PM »

Well stage .5 is complete, engine #1 is sitting at my house still on the trailer. I got a ton of other goodies for free while I was picking it up. I never knew they made tensioner pulleys or ac/ps pump brackets out of aluminum, but i have one of each now lol..

I got all kinds of pipes, the intercooler, FULL engine harness, two b6t ecus(you still chip ecus Matt?), Vaf, ......the pigtail i need to splice into the festiva harness with 4-5' of wire, ... Probably everything ill need minus a fuel pump and raditor(mine leaks..)

Sorry i got excited and forgot to take pics before strapping it down for the ride home. It was getting dark outside. I put about 650 miles on my 97 Aspire dragging my homemade/modified harbor freight trailer 4+ hours each way to pick this up. I didnt go straight home i made a 150 mile detour with it because i drove to cincinnatti the next day. Those festy guys doubted my stuff, thats why i dont like posting there, way too much negativity. I hauled 860lbs max on this trailer so far and i know it would do more, but seriously the thing is only 3.5x5' so its not big enough to fit much more weight on it. Works perfect for everything Ive asked of it so far, and the little bit of rust on my bumper hasnt been an issue either. -.-

This was on the way back... Lol i got 50 miles from home and decided to take the detour so it took awhile longer than this..
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:28:23 PM by zoom zoom »

zoom zoom

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 05:10:27 PM »

First serious question i guess,  do I need a 255lph pump or can i get away with a stock pump. Im reading conflicting stories. What do you guys use? Will be stock at first, MIGHT end up cranking it up later, maybe. Need to make sure I get it running asap no screwing around fixing things that dont need fixed first.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 10:54:41 PM »

All I can say is "F The Haters" and "Haters Gonna Hate"
And "You're not doing it right if you don't have haters" lol

Not sure about the stock Festy FI pump. The Pumps in the Capri are all the same N/A or XR2.

255LPH is "too much" you might be better off with one of the 190LPH.

Wish I could get a HF trailer. They cannot legally be titled in PA / driven on public roadways without a massive amount of paperwork, time, and money.

zoom zoom

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 08:45:18 AM »

Easy question, will the upper timing belt cover from a BP interchange with the b6t cover? The one on this engine is warped and is in desperate need of replacement...or elimination.

Chicken

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 11:11:25 AM »

That upper cover wil swap.  People do run engines without it and some go without any.

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 01:40:49 PM »

Ive run many years without it. No issues.

The bp cover wil bolt to the backing plate, but wont clear the engine mount/bracket if you're using the stock B6T mount

zoom zoom

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »

Good news! I hope I didn't throw away that pristine BP upper cover. I kicked it around in the garage for a year or better but I haven't seen it lately.

None of my current cars have an upper timing belt cover but they're both sohc enigines. It's really not a big deal to me either way just thought it might be nice to have one once.

anyway, I did an engine swap for a guy yesterday and that cleared up my engine stand, cherrypicker, and most importantly, space in the garage! So, now it's time to downshift to 3rd on this swap.

I got the engine up and removed the manifold with turbo and downpipe attached. Got most of it stripped down and started cleaning up the block. It was pretty gunked up and had some mud dobber nests hiding behind the turbo and oil cooler/heat exchanger.

Stopped by a parts store and picked up a front main gasket kit but I think I have the wrong front main seal in the pack. Grabbed a rear main seal kit, oil pan gasket, and a couple camshaft seals. Then I stopped by advance and overnighted a valve stem seal set. Still need a valve covergasket, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets and I think that should do it for the engine itself.

Almost all of the rubber vacuum lines need replaced. Has anyone ever written down what sizes and how much I need to redo all of those?

I'm 99% sure I have a large nose crankshaft on this engine, what years did the large nose come on?

zoom zoom

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 08:26:44 PM »

Oh, I grabbed some NGK Vpower plugs too, that's what I use in my other cars, but since this is a turbo motor do I need cooler plugs? I gotta order some NGK plug wires and disty cap/rotor button, are there any brands that are better than others? Also looking for a new timing belt and water pump, I was just going to go with generic gates brand from rockauto unless you guys have a better idea?!

Does anybody know what the NGK part number is for the wire set?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:15:22 PM by zoom zoom »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 03:50:33 AM »

I don't know of any "problem" brands with water pumps, I've used the cheaper ones before and haven't had any failures to date.

NGK V-power should be okay - stick with the stock heat range for now when you turn the boost way up & are making big power you can go a heat range colder, but not until then. I run a set of colder iridiums on the GXTR2

The large nose crank was late 91 on up, this is usually what you'll end up with. If you post a picture of the crank pulley we can ID it for you

zoom zoom

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 05:48:05 AM »

I'm sure its large nose then, I was assuming most 1.6 blocks were small nose. It has the pin and the 4 bolts are on a square pattern.

Hopefully I'll get that rockauto order in today, I'm gonna order one of the blue gates racing timing belts lol, i really shouldnt but ive been wanting one for awhile. Need the ngk plug wires to go with it but i cant find the part number. Are there only 5 wires in this set? Most pics on ra.com are showing 6?? I might be able to just transfer the ones off my current b6 if theres only 5.
Pages: [1] 2 3