Classifieds > Capri Parts

dianose intermitant boost problem

(1/3) > >>

Sawdust:
91 XR2..completely stock, two times now, have lost all boost after being driven hard.(We are autocrossing this car).The first time this happened, after the car sat for two weeks It was back to normal. Saturday we autocrossed, and lost all boost, including the 90 mile drive back home. Today I have boost again, but only about 6 lbs max. the blow-off valve appears to be operating correctly. Maybe the wastegate sticking open? Thanks in advance for any help.

rcicustoms:
ooh, thats a good one ... id say something made of rubber has a small hole or tear in it and when the car cools the rubber hardens and holds pressssure again...

what class are you running?? what are the rules ?

can you modify the car at all ??

well, id imagine you could make a boost leak checker...

ok, get a 2.5 inch PVC cap for PVC pipe..
  Go to a local tire shop and ask for a new tire valve stem (they'll prolly give it to ya. )
and get a 2.5in rubber coupler for intercooler pipe with a couple clamps..

it will look something like this...

rcicustoms:

now loosen the acordian tube and VAM from the tube that comes up from the turbo (j pipe)

use your "boost leak checker" on top of the j pipe... here you need a regulated air source.. most air compressors have a regulator knob and a second. outlet pressure guage. ok now about 20 psi on the compressor is roughly 5 to 6 lbs boost
5psi should show a leak. use a tire valve chuck and pressureize the system... that will show leaks in your I/C pipes and at the TB...

i guess a W/G actuator could do that but you would think it would either be good or bad (hold boost or not hold boost...)   maybe if the rod had been bent. and was coming in contact with something and "sticking".. i duno on here.. i guess id have to see and hear it...
            Joe   RCI...

Sawdust:
We are running H-stock, cant do very much to modify it. Thanks for the tip on the boost checker, I'll try that this weekend.

Sawdust:
are there any  vacum lines that need to be pluged before I pressurize the system?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version