TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: 1992xr2' picture/build thread no 56k UPDATE 4/25 , blown motor out, wire tuck  (Read 53936 times)

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer

Hey XR2!  The plugs won't be oily, if anything they'll be extremely clean as though they were steam cleaned. Used to be that any gas station with a garage had those block tester handy but that all went out the window when mini-marts took the shops place. most of your repair garages would be happy to test for no fee with the hope of getting a repair job on their books.  Good Luck  Gus.

1992xr2

I think both my headgasket and turbo are broke now, so I bought an IHI VJ-5 off of the ultra obscure, non-intercooled, 2.0 '87 626 GT.  It's the same size as a VJ-11 but has different coolant lines, a wastegate actuator that might actually fit and there's a slight possiblity that it has the same downpipe flange as a vj-14, wouldn't that be bolt-on goodness? the only thing you'd need to change would be coolant lines     The old vj-11 will probably be getting some t-bird love while waiting for the "new" vj-5 to blow.
\\\'90 Civic Si
Flat black, built vtec d16. Low 14s
Boost in the near future.

1992xr2

A few recent pics:

More pics below  

Since the last pic I've removed the dark grey mat thing on the firewall which makes the engine bay look alot better      No power steering is a blast, except in drive thrus/parking lots etc. where it is the most un-streetable mod I've done yet but the weight reduction and feedback are absolutely phenomenal, Even on ass tires at my ridiculous ride height I can pull absolutely mind blowing cornering gs.  I have a 2 different vj-5s in the mail, one I paid for 3 weeks ago and the other 5 days agoand I still haven't got wither of the bloody things   :(   hopefully I'll have them by thursday so I can do the swap.
\\\'90 Civic Si

1992xr2

\\\'90 Civic Si

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com

you should de-power the rack, it'll make it a lot easier to manage

or get a manual rack from a base 323

http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

1992xr2

I really want to de-power the rack but I really don't mind the effort 90% of the time but I'll definately do that if I ever have the rack out.  the realtime RSX racecars attach a ventialted catch-can to the loop between lines, I'm going to do that when I get the money to drop on a new catch can to re-do my cracnkcase ventilation set-up.
\\\'90 Civic Si

1992xr2

I just installed a vj-5. it took me about 7 hours, I've now done this 1 too many times.
\\\'90 Civic Si

1992xr2

Set-up was pretty much what was in my sig, the vj-5 (very close in size to a 11, possibly a little smaller, not alot of information available) was at 4psi and creeping to 6 (I haven't the vaguest idea why, vj-14 actuator) Besides making all sorts of really evil noises and being slow as hell it runs alright, idles normally (very loud knocking/rattling) it will accelerate but very very very slowly.  It makes any number of evil rattling noises and smoke just compeltely pours out of my breather and catch can to the point of almost obscuring vision.  Oh, and I have plenty of oil. Pressure is about 14 at idle and hits 30ish free revving to 3000 (this was before it broke, naturally)

Found a b6ze within half an hour for $250, any guesses on what timing to run?
\\\'90 Civic Si

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer

if you're not going to build the engine, and if you cant afford premium, i wouldnt reccomend those pistons

at the minimum get a cometic head gasket and some ARP head bolts

1992xr2

the madness has started    

I always run 93 in every car I drive.  The plan is that this is a temporary engine while I build a new engine that uses the best of the factory parts minus cams and pistons.  I'm just planning on running 10o of timing if I can get the knock sensor to work and alot less if I can't.  Eventually (after tires and brakes) It'll get rocketchipped and boost to 12 psi until I figure out something better to do.  Once it pops I'll definately do something more aggressive with the hg but until then I'm in debt to my eyeballs (40% of every check is paying on debt) and can't afford anything more than just a stock swap  
\\\'90 Civic Si

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer

wayne ran 9.4's on a stock head gasket @ 12lbs of boost and popped it after only 12 miles. I'd not reccomend it.

1992xr2

haha! That sounds soooo much like something that would happen to me, 12 miles then POP! I'm literally lol'ing. I suppose it's a good thing that I'm only running 4-6 pounds of boost then, replacing the headgasket would put me back at least 2 weeks and being a tall skinny white teenager taking the bus in the ghetto so I can get to work is no fun at all  :(
\\\'90 Civic Si

1992xr2

I just pulled the oil filter off and there was no oil inside, what does this mean?  I've never had this happen before, The car has sat since monday if that means anything.
NINJA EDIT: the oil glitters and came out all lumpy like, I was lying on my back under the car laughing my ass off.
\\\'90 Civic Si

1992xr2

engine's out.  There is just a massive amount of parts to remove:

Engine bay empty

Cleaned up the relays and sensors on the firewall a little bit

\\\'90 Civic Si

1992xr2

rerouting the charging/starting harness

running wires in the fender

fuse block hiding

tucked the harness with the horns, lights, cooling fans, horns, fogs, turn signals and parking lights

Hiding in the headlight bucket

driver's side of the engine bay

full engine bay shot after most of the tucking

\\\'90 Civic Si
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11