TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Hard Top Hunting  (Read 3855 times)

BlewitUp

Hard Top Hunting
« on: September 07, 2011, 05:05:00 AM »

Going to look at two hard tops this weekend, hopefully.  They are selling for $300-$400.

I want to know what I should be looking for.  

Also, When doing a search on here, I noticed someone asked about the switch blanks and later on it was talking about, "if your car came with a hard top".  Mine does not have the wiring for the dome and defrost.  Can I still put a hard top on?

i.e.: Will it still bolt to my car?

I would hate to buy one then not be able to use it.

Thanks,
-Ryan

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Hard Top Hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 05:13:00 AM »

Yes. You can bolt a hardtop to any Capri.

All the capris are -pre-wired for a hardtop, the only thing you'd add is the defrost relay and the switch in the dash. The plugs for these are there tucked away.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

BlewitUp

Hard Top Hunting
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »

I guess saying it wasn't wired for it was a mistake... I saw those harnesses in there. I meant it didn't have the relays. So, common things that are broke our missing on the hard tops?

rcdraco

Hard Top Hunting
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 04:09:00 AM »

Some cars will already HAVE the defrost relay as well if they're a frankenstein project like mine.     Always good to have spares though.

blueamber

Hard Top Hunting
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »

Every hard top I've bought has had broken trim, that plastic piece at the bottom rear of the top.  Doesn't affect anything except looks...midcomustang sells trim pieces, as well as a one piece rubber replacement for all the trim ($70??).

If the liners are sagging, that's a do it yourself $50 job...material and adhesive...nice thing is you can choose your own color for the liner.

Make sure the dome light is in one piece...and if they have the switch and relay, get them (maybe get them to throw them in with the deal)  The relay is next to the spare tire...Chris

blueamber

Hard Top Hunting
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »

Oh yeah, make sure the attachment bolts are present, one in the back and one on either side.  I've had to make my own in the past, but easier if they are there and not too beat up.

Also, the covers for the side hardware should be there, look for the attachment kit (wrench)...Chris

BlewitUp

Hard Top Hunting
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »

Perfect.

Thanks guys.

The ad says it's complete with all hardware.

-Ryan

BlewitUp

Hard Top Hunting
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 01:06:00 AM »

Picked up the hardtop.  It had a few light scratches and 2 small dents.  Nothing major and since it doesn't match my car, I need to repaint it anyway.  It did come with the hardware and the Ford wrench.  The seals on it look brand spanking new! The headliner isn't too bad and the dome light is intact.  The rear trim along the bottom is lifting a little though.

Now, I need to figure out how to put the damn thing on correctly!  Ha ha.  I know that sounds bad.  I just haven't had that much time to mess with it yet.  Stupid school and work getting in the way of fun.

I suppose now I am in the market for the relays and switches for the said light and rear defroster.

Thanks for your help guys.