TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: difference between turbo and non turbo enginge  (Read 2309 times)

rsharry

• Capri and Capri XR2
difference between turbo and non turbo enginge
« on: December 23, 2015, 03:38:27 AM »

Hi guys. I'am denny from germany and bought 2 capri here in germany.
One turbo for me and one non turbo for my woman.

My womans capri has an damaged timing belt and i repair it for her and we will paint this capri new and prepaired it for the german TÜV. For thoose who dont know what it is. There is an engineer who look at your car and say if you allowd to drive it the next 2 years or not. Without that we can't drive our  cars here.

My questions is. Does any body know there the main difference between the turbo and non turbo enginge is.
So how they realized the lower compression at the turbo engine. I cant find any thing about that.
Do they have over cylinder head or an over con rod or pistons? Would be great to know this.
I know they are many over difference between them like an piston cooling or knock sensor etc... but i dont find any thing about the compression.

Sry for my english if it would be bad. But i dont use english so often ^^

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: difference between turbo and non turbo enginge
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 08:23:49 AM »

Hi Denny! Welcome to TeamCapri. Seems to be many Capri in Germany now!

Internally there are very few differences.
The turbo engine has lower compression, the pistons have a deeper dish in them.

The exhaust camshaft is different because it uses different valve timing.

Both engines have oil squirters to cool the bottom of the piston.

The turbo engine has a knock sensor screwed into the block, and a knock controller. The nonturbo does not have this.

I don't understand your question about cylinder head/con rod - could you clarify?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rsharry

• Capri and Capri XR2
Re: difference between turbo and non turbo enginge
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 09:28:06 AM »

The main question is realy how the lower compression in the turbo engine was realized.

So you say the turbo engine has over pistons yes.

That means the cylinder head it selfs is the same as the head of the non turbo right? Only other exhaust camshaft.

I asked because its not easy to get some parts here in germany and a lot of parts i have buy in the usa. Shipping is very expansive and thats why it is realy important to buy the right parts.

For exambel. On www.rockauto.com. they have a lot of parts for the capri. I looked for gasket. Full motor set. I the category for head gasket they sell a distance plate for cylinder head.

Next time i will post some pictures of our capri's.

Rocketman. I've wrote you an email becaus of your ecu chip. You answert me on time but not a second time xd. Maybe we could handle it.