TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: tell us about your exhaust mod  (Read 4411 times)

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
tell us about your exhaust mod
« on: February 01, 2014, 06:27:58 PM »

this may sound shallow or vain but i lost my tone.. this is a dream exhaust job, the highest of quality... but dead silent.

i asked my shop to keep 2.5" pipe, but they put in factory spec pipe..
so there was a small mix-up, by a top notch biz.. i didn't say anything, i was in a hurry, as usual.

what is a good mod for factory spec'd exhaust and muffler to enhance sound?
i don't want a fart can, but thought there may be important notes about glass packs selections that i can learn about.
i had straight 2.5", no cat, had muffler, good sound -- now i have 1.5", no cat, with muffler, silence

i guess i don't want to sound like i'm faking-it with glass packs, but if i do, i want something awesome without cutting-out all of the new pipe.
i'm asking for something i have no idea how to describe... i'm asking for something that i don't know exists.. unique
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:31:13 PM by luvit »
omgimluvit

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: tell us about your exhaust mod
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 12:42:20 AM »

You have a nonturbo engine, correct?

You *had* 3" pipe? why'd you have it replaced? How was it even run, as 2.5" is really pushing it as far as fitting over the rear axle. I cannot see 3" making it

For good power/flow on an NA engine I'd use 2". Turbo cars I've run both 2.25" and 2.5"

I would not go above 2.5", for fitment reasons.

If you're looking for more sound, while keeping the existing piping - try a different muffler. Or put a resonator/glasspack in place of the muffler. This will bring up the volume.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 01:20:45 AM »

yeah, i had the 2.5" go under the axle.. i was surprised how few times my muffler or pipe dragged on pavement.
i put my spark plug wires in the wrong order, after several attempts of turning the key i eventually got spark and a big backfire which split my muffler.

i went to the shop to just have them chop off my muffler and put on another.
they talked me into replacing my clamped-together pipes with madrel bent pipe. i said ok with 3"
ah well.. i should have said something when i saw they used something that looks 1.5/1.75 to my eyes.
i'd do 2.5.. i plan to turbo or supercharge.
when i assembled my own exhaust, i could only round up enough 2.5" pipe from 3 auto stores, not any other sizes. it was a bad day to shop for pipe, i guess.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:31:41 PM by luvit »
omgimluvit

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 06:46:39 PM »

3" is not really a common size for exhaust pipe, I had the same issue when I built my 2.5" system I had to order a bunch when I did mine.

I am working on a supercharger kit for someone, if you are interested in going that route maybe I could make two kits as I go
Do you have a large nose crank?

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 10:11:10 PM »

omg, yeah. i had all these super charger notes a year ago and don't know where they are.
before you get involved in it, give me a guesstimate on costs.. i won't hold you to an terrible guesstimate.
i'm large nose.. i have auto transmission.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:42:26 PM by luvit »
omgimluvit

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 11:10:37 PM »

mm k.. according to this thread, i determined i had a large nose crank.
http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,902.msg20125.html#msg20125
you developed a tool for large nose crank, shipped it to me, and i loved the results.

large nose crank.. i like m62 supercharger or whatever maxes-out. lol.
these words it type.. i don't even know what they mean anymore..
omgimluvit

Sceeter

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 09:59:29 AM »

Hi I have a 2.25" on my 91na standard  what I did 2.25" to a 28" round cherry bomb down the center then after the s-pipe a cherry bomb oval turbo muffler then 2.25 out to the end. No fart can sound just a deep 4cyl. sound not offensive. John

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »

mm k.. according to this thread, i determined i had a large nose crank.
http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,902.msg20125.html#msg20125
you developed a tool for large nose crank, shipped it to me, and i loved the results.

large nose crank.. i like m62 supercharger or whatever maxes-out. lol.
these words it type.. i don't even know what they mean anymore..

Yep that's the large nose crank. The supercharger system I am working on NEEDS that crank for the special pulley that gets mounted to it.
Rough price estimate? I'm really not sure yet.

Parts necessary
-Crank Pulley
-Pulley system bracket with idler and tensioner
-Custom intake manifold to mount charger
-Throttle body adapter for charger
-Custom alternator pulley
-Longer belt

I'm pretty certain this can all be run on stock XR2 electronics, I wouldn't trust it to N/A stuff. So - xr2 ecu, harness, knockbox, distributor, injectors.

If I had to make a rough guess right now it would be about $1000 for the parts kit (stuff I would make from scratch) + the charger (you can source yourself, an Eaton M62 off an early GM 3.8sc engine, figure $200-300) + XR2 electricals bits

Water/methanol injection would be ideal to add too, there are plenty of relatively inexpensive kits out there.

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 06:30:39 PM »

i mis-spoke earlier.. i had 2.5" pipe.
wow on $1,300 supercharger solution. i also, forgot how much complication goes into it.
i think i'm not going to have the finances until Late March or April.
i can't find my supercharger notes, yet, but i bet i wasn't much below that figure.
omgimluvit

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 07:17:37 PM »

Hi I have a 2.25" on my 91na standard  what I did 2.25" to a 28" round cherry bomb down the center then after the s-pipe a cherry bomb oval turbo muffler then 2.25 out to the end. No fart can sound just a deep 4cyl. sound not offensive. John
hey, john.. i missed your post. that is very interesting. can you get some pics and audio?
i guess i'm afraid of glasspacks because i'm told my driving habits would wear them out every 12 months.
omgimluvit

ReedStemen

• '91 Capri
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 04:14:15 PM »

I have a 2" full exhaust. Strait pipe sounded terrible, glasspack sounded terrible, but my current setup with a Dynomax Turbo muffler sounds awesome IMO. No cats or cannons, muffler $70 on amazon.

-Reed
-Reed