TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Boooost creeeep  (Read 7943 times)

CapriXR2

Boooost creeeep
« on: November 19, 2013, 02:05:46 PM »

I have a 91 XR2 with a 2 1/4 straight exhaust, custom intake pipe 2" and a larger FMIC. I was planning on installing an aftermarket boost controller and flashing the ecu.. But I am already hitting 10psi regularly and have Even seen 15.. I live in Minnesota, the seasons are changing the air is becoming cold and more dense. I thought that might have an effect on the situation... How can I test for boost leaks/ waste gate function? Thoughts? Need more info? Looking for input..

Thanks
-Brian

CapriXR2

Re: Boooost creeeep
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 02:07:11 PM »

At first I thought my aftermarket gauge was faulty or had a bad vac source but my stock gauge is also reading 10-15psi.. I have disconnected my boost cut off..

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 09:34:30 PM »

It's inevitable with the 2.25" exhaust and an open intake. The wastegate needs to be ported out to flow more to accurately control boost levels
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

CapriXR2

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 01:14:17 AM »

Is there a good write up on porting our stock waste gate?

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 11:14:46 AM »

Take off the turbo and separate the turbine housing from the chra. Next, using a hand held grinder with an appropriate sized stone, you need to open up the wastegate port to roughly the size of a nickle...making sure you do not go so big as the flapper will not seal the hole.  Also, being that you have the turbo off, now is a great time to upgrade it to a VJ11 or Tbird compressor and a Rocketchip. With the exhaust you have put on, the VJ14 is at or over it's limit to pushing air (other than hot air...which is not what you want) so the upgrade really is in order.
Clay

CapriXR2

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 03:23:39 PM »

Thanks for the info clay, that kind of sucks.. I was under the impression the stock turbo could handle 16 without modification.. Should I just swap in a VJ11.. I know the cooling system will need to be reroute but that seems easier/cheaper than having the turbo sent out and built...

Is it harmful to boost the way it is now? Spiking around 10psi usually

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 12:28:33 PM »

The stock turbo can indeed boost 16psi no problems -on a stock car it will hold 16psi all day. With your intake & exhaust you'd probably notice the boost dropping to ~12psi at redline or so regardless of boost controller setting: the VJ14 won't keep up with the engine.

You really, really need to get your boost under control or get a chipped ECU. Should not be running over 10lbs, and should not have the boost cut disconnected. Adding a muffler might help to keep the boost down, but the only real way to accurately control it is to port the wastegate.

Read my turbo upgrade thread, it's stickied at the top in the XR2 section here. It has the info you want on a VJ11/14 hybrid - in short no you don't really want to bolt up the whole turbo, you'll want to still use the VJ14 turbine housing.

CapriXR2

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »

In the process of removing the turbo to port the waste gate hole.. Looked in the manuals couldn't find a turbo removal break down..

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 04:19:42 PM »

Hmm lets see

-Remove downpipe at 3 bolt flange under the turbo. Use penetrating fluid, and then anti-seize on re-install
-Drain coolant, remove radiator if you want the extra space to work
-Disconnect intercooler hoses, turbo intake tube
-Unbolt power steering pump, pull up out of the way
-Disconnect O2 sensor (just unplug it)
-Remove exhaust heat shield(s) (chances are these bolts will all snap off, not a big deal)
-Disconnect turbo coolant (rubber ones, leave the hard lines)
-Disconnect the oil feed line (metal line at the block, DO NOT over-torque this on re-install)
-Disconnect oil return line (from turbo to oil pan)
-Disconnect turbo support brace (from block to bottom of turbine housing)
-Remove all the manifold to head bolts. Watch the tab on the coolant bypass line on the right side

That should be about all you need to remove the turbo, shouldn't take too long. Some of the exhaust bolts can be tricky. Anti-seize everything on re-assembly!

That's what you'll be looking at once you remove the cast dump pipe. Don't need to really separate everything down this far, you can leave the turbo together, and the housing on the manifold. Remove the e-clip that holds the wastegate actuator to the wastegate itself, and lift up the "flapper" it'll be about a dime size hole. You'll want it about nickel size, or as large as you can get minding that the flapper door still needs to seal over it.

CapriXR2

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 01:03:24 AM »

Awesome rocketman. I got all but one shielding bolts out.. No rust, none snapped. However I wish I had not removed my O2 sensor.. I think it cracked my manifold.. Either way my manifold is cracked from the O2 straight up.. I plan on porting the waste gate and welding the manifold at the same time..

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 12:44:59 PM »

All the XR2 manifolds are cracked there, you didn't crack it. Generally it won't harm anything or migrate further up.

You can try welding it, I've tried in the past - preheat, weld with proper nickel rod, let it cool slowly - still cracked on cooling. Your results may vary. I think once the manifold is up to temperature the metal expands and completely seals again, as the crack doesn't actually separate whole parts of the manifold.

If you knock out the bridge in the middle with a hammer that's supposed to help reduce stresses on the manifold, it's a poor design

CapriXR2

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 03:24:23 PM »

My manifolds bridge is cracked as well.. Very small crack.. Can I reuse my gaskets?my oil return hose tore during removal.. I'm guessing I can just get a small bit of bulk hose to replace that.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 09:00:03 PM »

Bulk hose works well - trans cooler line would be best. Make sure it does not kink! An extra hose clamp in the middle can help.

The exhaust gaskets for the most part can be re-used but it still doesn't hurt to replace them. I would not re-use them twice

CapriXR2

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 02:11:45 AM »

Is there anything else I should do besides port the waste gate while I have the turbo and exhaust manifold out?

CapriXR2

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 03:44:08 AM »

Is a BPT J-spec IHI RHB5 VJ20 turbocharger a good deal for $400? There is one locally...
Pages: [1] 2