TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Throttle cable  (Read 3510 times)

p928s4

Throttle cable
« on: March 12, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »

Looking for a throttle cable for a 93 NA with Automatic transmission that has cruise control. Waiting to hear back from Roo Sports but thought I'd ask here also.
Gene p928s4@comcast.net

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
Throttle cable
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »

Gene-
We are still doing a little research into finding the right cable for you. I've been going over every exploded view and part number list i have trying to find one new!

--Russ
Roo-Sport.com
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

rcdraco

Throttle cable
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 04:06:00 AM »

Did yours snap, or is it just loose?  You can adjust it on that bracket off the front of the valve cover if it's too tight or too loose.

p928s4

Throttle cable
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 02:15:00 AM »

Outer casing cracked where it passes over the front of the valve cover. Creates slop in throttle pedal and cable tension plus doesn't allow for full throttle.

rcdraco

Throttle cable
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »

If he doesn't get back to you, might need to look in the junkyard for one.  Probably need the cruise control module as well unless you can unhook the cable from inside it.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Throttle cable
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »

The cable can come out of the cruise module, it's tricky but can be done. The problem is the cruise box uses a different bulkhead connector than the other cables use

The cables w/ cruise seem to be very prone to having the sheath break on them
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Jim Simms

• 1991 XR2 Cardinal Red, great body, needs paint
Re: Throttle cable
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 07:51:54 PM »

My 1991 xr2 needs a throttle cable. combination of heat, drying out sheath, and might be rodent chewing on cable.
Mechanic tied off the cable to the frame with ziptie to take up slack.
Found one cable online , guy wanting $150 for the cable from cruise box to throttle; $380 for new Cruise control box and both cables.
Anyone know who might have the cable or what might work instead.
Jim
(803) 309-6850

blueamber

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 11:51:19 AM »

One of my Capris had a previous owner fix to the broken sheath by splitting tubing and encasing the entire cable.  He greased up the cable to slow down the rust, and glued the tubing into place.  He used red tubing and it looked good and worked as long as I had the car...Chris

Jim Simms

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 07:47:37 PM »

Thanks Chris.
Russ has been great looking for one; only has non cruise control cable.
I had thought about putting something around the cable, additional rubber sheathing, and will get my creative mechanic to devise something for now. Looks like a rat got up there and chewed the mesh.
I tried to upload a pic of the throttle cable but could not figure a way to do it on the site. Any help uploading pics would be appreciated.
Jim

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:28:54 PM by Jim Simms »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 11:02:57 PM »

The forum does not currently support direct uploads, we are hoping to enable that at some point in the coming year. Right now you will need an image host, such as photobucket or imgur - once your image is uploaded they provide a code you can copy & paste in a message here.

I am working with Russ to develop a throttle cable solution - we are getting close to having a viable product.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Jim Simms

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 09:36:32 PM »

I found heavy tubing about the size of the cable. My mechanic was hesitant about spliting the tubing, stretching the cable taunt, and securing both ends.
I have not looked at the attachement under the cover of the cruise control. My problem is the same as other poster; since there is slack in the cable, the throttle will not open as much as you would like, even though the cable has been pulled to the frame with a ziptie. Not pretty.