TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: door latch issue  (Read 2576 times)

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
door latch issue
« on: October 22, 2014, 01:59:16 PM »

The passenger side outside door handle on my car takes more effort than it should to engage (cause the door to open).  How do you fix this?   
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

blueamber

Re: door latch issue
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »

You can adjust the mechanism that connects the handle to the latch.  You have to pull the door panel.  There is a threaded rod from the latch mechanism that connects to the handle via a white nylon 'grabber' part.  The 'grabber' can be undone with a flat screwdriver, prying it apart.  The threaded rod can then be moved up a little, the grabber reconnected, lubricate everything in sight, and you should be good.

Continued attempts to pull that handle up enough to open the door will eventually break the handle, I've sold 1/2 dozen or so on ebay because of that.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 06:17:37 PM »

The passenger side outside door handle on my car takes more effort than it should to engage (cause the door to open).  How do you fix this?

Interesting, mine has the same problem, thanks Russ

Jack
Jack Byrd

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 08:40:50 PM »

Once again - many, many thanks
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 09:54:26 AM »

This is a chronic issue on my two capris. One just quite working entirely. I have to pull the door apart to work on the window regulator too
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"