TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: CID  (Read 3641 times)

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
CID
« on: April 11, 2016, 10:56:29 AM »

I've been searching all over and can't find a CID (CMP) anywhere, anyone have any leads or know where to find it ??
Thanks !

JBone

• 1994 mercury capri base
Re: CID
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 11:15:09 AM »

It's the cam position sensor and it located on the distributor. It's a small magnet that pulses an on and off signal relative to the position of the camshaft.

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 11:55:30 AM »

Narrowed that down, where do I find a replacement though ?? Trying to track down a Mitsubishi part number stamped on one I have , not getting anywhere. Thanks 1

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 11:59:26 AM »

By the way, being that it's on a new rebuilt distributor, think it might be a matter of taking off and cleaning it ? Never had one apart so I don't know what to expect...just guessing.... double checked ground wire too.

JBone

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 01:30:05 PM »

BWD CBE555 Ignition Control Module. That's what it is listed as on eBay. Rock auto has them as well 

JBone

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 02:05:28 PM »

http://www.rockauto.com/m/mobilecatalog.php. That is the link for rock auto.

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 03:58:19 PM »

Getting more confusing, cam position sensor, cylinder I d , cmp, ignition control module. Thought ignition control module was inside dist , igniter, which it is. Prices are all over the place and I found it is used in quite a few different cars too ( same number cross referenced )  . Nothing is easy, nothing.

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 04:41:24 PM »

Well, googled myself sick on this thing. Boiled down to autozone, Wells CR138..$69.99. hope that does it !

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 07:10:16 PM »

I would first try taking the CID off the distributor and cleaning the bottom of the sensor and where it mounts externally on the distributor (this is where the sensor receives its’ ground).
Also check the electrical plugs on the sensor and the dizzy’s wiring harness plug, and then try clearing the codes to see if they come back.

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 07:47:25 PM »

I came to that conclusion thinking before I order one, can't break it any more than it is ! I'll unhook battery tomorrow , rip it off and have at it, doesn't look like anything can fall apart when I pull it like springs or ball bearings or other tiny parts !
Let you know how it goes...Thanks

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 09:59:04 PM »

Okay, couldn't wait. Took it off, lightly sanded magnet because it looked like it had a coating of some kind that wasn't smooth, scratched all contacts on plugs, looked like some kind of old white lith on them, put a dab of di electric on them. Hooked up battery a n d it started up like new but, bonus is the engine light was off, even after 5th start ! Cool, saved a few bucks..again.
Between the gas tank tip and this , I'll have to buy chrispoe a lunch sometime ! Thanks , Pappy T .