TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Won’t start need options to try!!  (Read 113 times)

bryanknight

• 91 foxboy modified, 91 capri xr2 modified,
Won’t start need options to try!!
« on: March 03, 2024, 08:05:48 PM »

So I have now gotten my set up ready to roll, but it won’t start! It cranks over and hits but won’t run.  I have changed computers, went back to stock injectors. I have spark I have 40-50 psi fuel pressure.  I have missed with the distributor. Check the timing 5 times.  But it really acts like it’s out of time or firing in wrong order. Which I have also checked.  I have also changed the maf stock to modified, no change! So motor is built, head is worked block is bored and custom parts and a 20g turbo. Did have 390 injectors but now back to stock 300s. Nothing i have done has made a positive change, it has only made it worse????   Any ideas ??

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: Won’t start need options to try!!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 05:25:30 PM »

Take it all the way back to basics. Fuel, air, spark.

Make sure you are getting spark at the plug. Easy enough to check, pull a plug out of the head but leave it plugged into the coil. Lay the thing down so the electrode is near bare metal, then have someone crank it so you can watch. You'll see the spark.

Check fuel. You said you had 40/50psi, but where? Easiest way I've found to check is to spray starting fluid into the intake just before the throttle body before cranking it. If it now starts, you know you have a fuel issue.

Air. The Capri is a pain with the VAF metering air, so any little intake leak is gonna cause problems starting. Easiest solution here would be to smoke test your whole intake, make sure its air tight.