TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Two Transmission questions.  (Read 3558 times)

theAmazingKickstand

Two Transmission questions.
« on: January 22, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »

Hi guys,
91 non turbo 5 speed with 110k miles.

First, the gear oil is leaking out of what I think is the reverse sensor. How do I get that sensor out? I dont have a wrench that big and ouldnt unscrew it with vice grips or a big adjustible wrench....no room to fit. I think it may be a 22mm??

Second, Sometimes the car shifts perfectly, like brand new. super smooth and slides right into gear with nice resistence. Other times ther are minor clicks, rubs,scratches etc, tht I feel through the shifter..no noises though. Im hoping this is worn shifter linkage. Any specifi items to check? replace?

Thanks

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »

my sensor leaked some too..

i used black rtv and sealed the crap out of it all around it...no more leaks....
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

theAmazingKickstand

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »

I tried sealing with blue RTV and it helped. I bought the black stuff ($7!!!) and didnt wnat to waste it on sealing around. I was hoping to take the senor out, put it on the thread and put it back in.

What are all the parts I need to buy to make it shift like new again? bushings, couplings, etc?
Where to buy? how much?

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »

cant help on the tranny part..

mine seemed to be leaking out the middle of the sensor. not from the threads...thats why i sealed it up. if it was the thread i would take it out and put in a new one to make sure it was not cross threaded on the last install.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »

They make a socket for sensors...it is sloted to go over the wire. I made one by slotting a deep socket with my grinder..works very well. I would just replace the switch and not worry about it any more.
Clay