TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Cold Morning start stumble  (Read 3268 times)

theAmazingKickstand

Cold Morning start stumble
« on: December 05, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »

Other than a on crisp morning this doesnt happen.

When I start it, the motorr goes to 1,500 rpm like it should but a second later it drops down to 400rpm and stumbles there for about 3 seconds. Then it goes back to 1,500 and slowly goes down to 900 normally as it warms up.

If I sart it cold enough mid day (after sitting for 4 hours) it will go to 1,500 normally and warm up properly without the stumble.

What say you?

Thanks.

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »

thats normal, just try to give the little engine time to warm up...
 mine does all kinds of weird things when its cold ..ive got an aftermarket aluminum radiator and 180* thermostat...

220hp@18psi

theAmazingKickstand

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:03:00 AM »

I figured it was just 20yr old FI and electronics. Not too bad really.

Whats your theory on warm up?

Ive alwasy believed to let things idle for a 2 minutes to ge tthe oil everywhere and then slowly drive it till temp is up and oil pressure is down.

Some folks like to let things idle for 6 minutes but I think that just causes horrible wear cuz only the water gets warm but everything else is still at mixed temps....and oild doesnt warm.

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »

it depends on how cold it is outside...
summer time, about 30 seconds to a minute...
fall, 50*, a minute or two..
winter, 40* or below, 5-10 minutes until heat comes out the vents, or over 120* on the guage...
the problem i have, is that when the car is warming up and in high idle, its also givin it more fuel...
if i try to go, and drive it without warming it up, it runs stupid rich and smokes fuel smoke...
thus making it choke and sputter until its warm anyway...

220hp@18psi