TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Timing issues  (Read 3738 times)

jimmy1439

Timing issues
« on: March 27, 2011, 04:53:00 AM »

OK, new guy here.  

I have a 94 Base Model Capri which I got about 6 months ago.  It was not running, on four flats, but had all parts and the unibody is straight.  A little front damage, but no biggie...especially for the almost nothing I gave for it.  Anyway, I have replaced the fuel system, brake system, etc and gone through the motor completely.  I am re-assembling the engine and have run into a strange condition.  

When timing the engine, I line up the mark on the crank and the marks on the cams.  This brings the #1 cylinder to TDC as it is supposed to and the distributor rotor points at the #1 distributor contact.  The problem is that at that position, the cams are just getting ready to open the intake valves on the #4 cylinder and the exhaust valves on the #4 have just closed.  On everything else I have worked on, the #1 valves should be doing that.  

The first time I timed it, it started and ran  rough, and had no power, indicating an engine is timed 180 out.

I retimed the cams and the distributor 180 out from the instructions and reinstalled the plug wires accordingly, and the car runs great.

Is there something I am missing, not experienced with...??  I am prepared to run it that way if necessary, but would rather figure this out and run it correctly...not to mention that this is something that is puzzling me.  

Any help from the smart folks (you guys and gals)would be appreciated.  

Thanks in advance,
Jim

rcdraco

Timing issues
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »

Passenger side front is the #1 cylinder.  The nearest to the dizzy is the #4.

jimmy1439

Timing issues
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »

Yea, I verified that when I started just to make sure I wasn't pullin a big bonehead move.  Hopefully, still no bonehead, but that's not it.

Colorado1

Timing issues
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »

When I was timing my engine I searched spark plug gap and rcicustoms mentioned gapping around .02-.03 which is different from the manual(book), & mine ran great after that. I went to about .023

jimmy1439

Timing issues
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »

Well, now things have gone from ok to bad.

The car was smoking quite a bit on startup and using a bit of oil, so I pulled the head, re-did the valve seals, and performed one of the shade tree tricks to make sure the rings weren't stuck(Chemtool).  After doing the seals, I had the head pressure tested and checked at an engine shop...all good there.

Now I have re-assembled the engine and it won't start.  I have timed it by the book and the way I had to do it before with no success.  I have walked away to relieve frustration, and wanted to check with more experienced folks again.  Let me know if anybody has any suggestions.  I know...I could have left it alone, but I hated it smoking and was worried about stopping up the converter.

BTW, I will try the gapping change, but I have verified spark and fuel.  Also, I oiled the cylinder walls after the Chemtool and compression is good.

Colorado1

Timing issues
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »

I'm sure someone else can help. My biggest problem was with the grounds- Especially the ones coming off the distributor underneath it. I sanded every one( one for the engine was shoved under the back seat.they're a big deal on these.

jimmy1439

Timing issues
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »

Go figure...all is well now.

I just backed up and regrouped.  I took everything apart (except taking the head back off), re-assembled it all, timed it according to the book, and it started right up and is back on the road.  I will see if it smokes the next time I start it up after it has been sitting for a night or complete day at work.  

We shall see...

BTW, I gapped the plugs at .023 and it seems happier.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Take it easy,
Jim