TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Thinking about a new camshaft for Non-turbo  (Read 2642 times)

T Rex

• 1993 Capri N/A. 1995 Rover Mini. 2011 TDI Jetta
Thinking about a new camshaft for Non-turbo
« on: April 03, 2015, 07:08:41 PM »

Hi everyone! I saw a short post on here about a set of OBX cams for a Miata stage 1 that will work in the Capri. I'm looking for a little more power without getting too involved in ECU and injectors and such. Is this a good thing? Anyone currently running this set-up? I figure I would buy the cams, a set of lifters, a timing belt component set and be good to go, but wanted a little more info. Thanks!!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Thinking about a new camshaft for Non-turbo
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 02:35:04 AM »

That's gonna be a lot of work!

Do you have any intake or exhaust work done already?
A nice cold air intake and a header + full exhaust will get you some power.

The cams won't do much unless you have this work done already.
How aggressive are the cams that you would need new lifters?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

T Rex

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »

I have a header and full exhaust with high flow catalytic, and a cold air intake. Would I need to shim under the lifters to get the proper valve clearance? That is a pain, I did that once on a motorcycle. I had the machine shop deal with it on my Protege engine rebuild. Would I need the adjustable cam gear too? I'm looking at the stage 1 cam. As far as the new lifters, I figured while I was there I should replace. I don't need to?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 02:43:28 AM »

You'll have to ask the mfg'r and ask what they recommend. It's been so long since I messed with any aftermarket camshaft stuff I don't really remember specifics, I'm starting to get out of the loop a bit.

The stock lifters are HLA's, which are hydraulic, and do not need shimming. Aggressive cams that have high lift and stronger valvesprings sometimes require a conversion to mechanical lifters, which do need shims. The parts do exist to do this to a Capri, but it's always been prohibitively expensive (as well as requiring additional, invasive maintenance from time to time to re-shim).
I would imagine a stage 1 cam will change the duration/overlap but probably not lift, so the stock HLA's should be okay. Brand new HLA are available but pricey, couldn't hurt to replace them I suppose, our cars are getting up there in age at this point. The FSM has a procedure for checking them, maybe try that before replacing.

Cam gears can help but they usually need a fair bit of legit dyno tuning to get them dialed in perfectly. They can help move the powerband a bit and can grab a few extra ponies. I would suggest more research on this though, rather than going on my word lol
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

T Rex

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 05:06:07 PM »

Thanks Rocketman. I forgot these had hydralic lifters which makes the job easier. I saw a set on ebay for $117 so I figured I would toss them in while I'm in there (The old car chant, "while I'm in there"). I will do some more research before I proceed. It will be simple once I convince the wife that the "stock cams are shot" at 78,000 miles. Haha! I've spent about $2,000 on the classic mini in the last couple months, so I may need to also buy a purse and some shoes. (For the wife, not me).