TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Timing Belt & Water Pump Replacement  (Read 10990 times)

azgtx

• Old-Timer
Re: Timing Belt & Water Pump Replacement
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 06:40:11 PM »

That looks good and that is the HLA's ticking. That should go away unless they are clogged.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 01:31:18 AM »

If the engine has been sitting for a while, it may take some time for the HLA's to quiet down.

Your timing looks good now. And just FYI, under the harmonic balancer on the crank's timing cog itself, there is a notch - this lines up with a Vee on the oil pump housing to indicate crank TDC.

1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Surfnut

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 11:07:38 PM »

Thanks guys!

Here's a short video of the engine running.  It doesn't have the completely finished exhaust on it yet but this is where I'm at now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBVGz2WIgSc&feature=em-upload_owner

Thank you again,

Dave

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 09:38:56 AM »

Timing belts are always fun. Always change out the tensioner and idler pulley.  The springs should come with the kit. While in there change out the water pump, crank and cam seals. It's also a good time to change the lower radiator hose if it's soft. The hose clamp on the water pump is almost impossible to get to without the PS pump and AC compressor removed.

The reason I'm posting is to tell you about my timing belt experience. I replaced all the parts mentioned above. The car would start but had no power. Even at full throttle I was lucky to reach 1500 rpms. Dang, I must not have the belt right so I tore it back down. After triple checking I knew the gears were right.

When I went to put the timing cover back on I noticed wear marks about half a circle from the cam gear. Hmmm, upon inspection I noticed the right gear sticking out further than the other. So upon taking the gear off I noticed the bolt was loose, the gear backed out until it cleared the key and shifted to the side a little. That's when I decided to change the seals since I was that far. I put her back together, set the timing and she spurred like a kitten.

I guess the moral of the story is take an extra second and make sure the side view gear alignment is correct. I'm not sure if this is a common problem with the cam bolt backing out or the last person working on it didn't tighten it properly. Anyways a few seconds my save someone tearing it down a second time like me.
Pages: 1 [2]