TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Road trip 2009  (Read 3206 times)

Tom Harding

• http://tomharding.net
Road trip 2009
« on: July 27, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »

I set out on June 15, 2009, from my home in Longmont, CO having packed my cameras, optical gear,some of Dad's things for Carol, Lee and Jeff, my cameras and other technology for the family.
I also had camping and fishing gear. The Capri was so full I could not put the top down since I had gear behind the back seat.
   I had 113,380 miles when I left. I went to Golden, and took HWY 6 west to I-70, then to HWY 9 in Dillon, CO north to US 40 west through Steamboat Springs, Craig, Dinosaur, to Hebron, UT where I went south to Provo, UT, then on to Delta UT on HWY 50 West where I spent a restful night. On through Utah and NevadA, I put new wiper blades in Ely, NV, and added oil. I had a pleasant conversation with a County Sherrif in Eureka, NV, where I exceeded the speed limit in not one but 3 speed zones in about a quarter mile. From 70 to 55-45-35-25 within rock-throwing distance of each other. The city cop would have busted me for all three, but he warned me to pay closer attenion to the signs and sent me on my way.
   The Capri is running great. From Carson City NV I took HWY 88 over the Sierras. It is a beautiful road, well engineered for driving, with passing lanes and everything. I sort of hooked up with a red Camaro and we were enjoying the drive when we came across a sedan that seemed to be going at a good clip except in the turns, and when he took the passing lane, I accelerated, and he cut right back in, and I had to lock the brakes. After I got past the geezer, he did the same thing to the Camaro behind me. He almost killed the 3 of us. It was all I could do to get away from him.
   In Stockton my 90-year-old Aunt took care of me while I got her computer set up and arranged for her to copy pictures to a flash drive and take to her notebook to print or share. I stayed 2 days with her because she is pleasant to be around and she needed to shop for the flash drive and a USB cable for her printer. I found her jamless, and gave her some peach jam I had made in the fall. I had promised it to my sister but I knew she would forgive me.
   On to Oakland, CA where my stepbrother put me up and we shared technology and ideas, and he gave me some of my Dad's things which he had been taking care of since Dad died 2 years ago (including his ashes).
   He talked me into taking HWy 1 north along the coast which was beautiful. Waves crashing on the rocks, wind blowing clouds, and a twisty roller coaster road.  The Capri loved passing everybody. Second gear to 60, third to 75... I gained a new gas cap out of a junk box in Ft Bragg but lost my dipstick.
The stretch of HWY 1 when it leaves the coast is very twisty, with curves marked 20 and even 10, but the Capri loved it with lots of 2nd gear high revs and pulling on the wheel as hard as I could. There was a tricked-out 2-door Aisan thing that tried to outrun me, but failed. I wasn't going to pass him, but it was wild for a half-hour or so.
   I rested for the night in Eureka, CA then found my dipstick missing in Crescent City, CA but saw no splashing oil, so I continued to Grant's Pass, OR where I stopped at a Ford/Mazda dealer, where a high school basketball team was having a fund-raising car wash, so I donated a few dollars (my daughter played basketball too) while trying to find a dipstick. The closest one was in Walnut Creek CA. I had been through there two days earlier, but didn't need a dipstick then.
   I continued north to Corvallis, OR, where my mother lives, in time to scrape off 8 months of whiskers for a family dinner at my brother's place with his in-laws and some neices and nephews. I also got 2 changes of better clothes for the visit and the wedding of one of my nephews on Sunday, June 21. As my brother's in-laws are sheep ranchers, we feasted on lamb and other goodies and a good time was had by all. We scattered Dad's ashes per his wishes, next to my oldest brother's.
   I spent most of the next week with my mom, brothers and family while I tackled Mom's cable TV issues. When I got there she had exactly one channel due to the digital changeover by Comcast. They were no help whatsoever, she had a motel-style remote which she couldn't use and her universal big-button remote was disabled. She is nearly blind and has learned to operate her equipment by feel. Unlike many of us, she has the instructions for every device she owns in one drawer, so I found the relevant devices and programmed the universal remote and the Comcast remote to operate her VCR, TV, and cable with all functions she is used to.
   I arranged for a scheduled oil change in Albany, OR (115,500 mi), at the shop that takes good care of my brother's Capri (Crabtree Automotive, if you need service near Albany, go there), and they did a full system check which the Capri passed with flying colors, and also checked the oil pressure at the block when the dash gage on the dash indicated zero, and found it to be 24 psi at idle and 41 at 2500 rpm. We talked about oil pressure yesterday and I would add that there is a K&N performance filter that filters finer and flows higher than the others, even the Mazda 323. I also had a new stereo installed that is hard-wired for my Ipod, because using the FM transmitter had static and on a long trip needed to change to a different frequency now and then, as well as having interference in almost every city. My Capri is happy and I can drive for a week and never hear the same song twice.
   Later that week my brother and I spent the weekend in Eastern Oregon where I fished the Metolius River which springs full-size from under an old lava flow and is full of trout and salmon. He is an ornithologist, apart from his paying job as a CPA, and led me to 3 springs where the land is pine-scrub and the birds have few choices for water. We set up lawn chairs a ways away and trained our telephoto lenses on tripods on the best spots, with the ice chest and snacks at hand. We spotted and photographed some birds not usually seen by most birders. Green-tailed towhees, Olive-sided flycatchers, Calliope hummingbirds, Red-breasted and Pygmy nuthatches, and more. I have photos of these to share with those interested.
   I have to say I am blessed with very good relations with everyone in my family. Any of us can seek shelter with any other, any time anywhere.
   I continued from Bend, OR north on US 97 through Oregon and Washington into Canada. The road is amazingly smooth and wide-open, through fields of grain and hay, small towns, and some canyons. I ran for an hour at about 100 mph, passing the occaisional tourist without even slowing down. I got a bunch of fresh fruit in Yakima, WA, and ate cherries and grapes on my way to Kelowna, BC, where I decided that the traffic and fatigue had me making too many decisions, except to stop. I notified the family that I would be in Salmon Arm, my sister's home, on the following Monday morning, June 29.
   I spent 2 days with my sister, whose hair was on fire with her only daughter's wedding 5 days away, but we had some quiet time while I set up her new Apple Powerbook and my Dad's digital camera. I got her hooked up with high-speed Internet with current technology including music and pictures.
   Then I met my brother, sister-in-law, nephew and his other with kids at the cabins at Galena Bay, near Revelstoke, BC for 2 days of visiting and some fishing. My kids and I helped my brother start his new cabin about 5 years ago, and we stayed there. My Capri can't get up the driveway because last time I tried it I broke some sheet metal underneath and had to go home without it. He has electricity only recently and no indoor plumbing yet. A rocky trail to the outhouse, a gabezo style with a great view, serves well. A pee bottle works for flatlanders at night.
   Back to Salmon Arm for the wedding, and I got a wireless router for my sister but didn't mess with it for fear of being underfoot.
Many family members, including my kids (heck, they are grownups now) and their others. We filled a restaurant to capacity and had a great evening.
   The wedding was in my sister's garden and it was wonderful. Three families, really, my Hardings, my sister's husband, the Minors, and the groom's family, the Jegenkos (sp). It was a splendid affair and I think everybody cried as Charles (my sister's high school sweethart) walked his daughter down the isle, strewn with rose petals by my grand-neice. We had a feast and cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and great-grandchildren enjoyed all.
   The next day my Canadian nephew roasted one of his goats and we had another feast, a little smaller and intimate. I got my sister's wireless internet working and my son Russell was in the yard on WIFI with his Iphone getting e-mail and directions to Banff via Google.
   My kids and company had a beautiful and advanterous drive through the Canadian Rockies, caravan style with walkie-talkies. We fished a lake and parted company in Banff where they wanted to back-pack and climb a mountain, and I didn't.
   I went to Calgary and found a cheap motel with cable tv and wifi, and tried to arrange a float fishing trip on the Bow River, staying an extra day, but it didn't work out.
I headed east to Winnipeg via a nice Bed and Breakfast just west of Moose Jaw that didn't make breakfast but did bring me chili and apple juice to my room which had great satelite TV and wifi internet. Winnipeg is a speed trap, so watch out.
   I made my way to the US border where I got searched. US customs took my Capri and me apart, found nothing and sent me on my way with greetings.
I made it to Fargo, ND, and after 3 stops found a motel with no fridge, microwave, or wifi, but they had good cable tv and a really good fresh breakfast, including eggs, bisquits and gravy and waffles.
   Once in Wisconsin I admired the ponds and wetlands, but soon realized that there were more cops than in all of my travels to this time put together. I stayed with traffic and out of trouble. Just west of Madison, two young women on an overpass flashed the freeway. They had bikinis, then not. I'm not making this up. The nearest town was Necodus or something like that, I swear.
   I made it through Chicago with toll booths I had no cash for and had to take IOUs.
I found the Sunset Inn in Remington, IA after some searching, and realizing that I was snow-blind and could barely see in the dark. I was lucky to get to the motel. Some young Capri people spotted me wandering and led me to a safe place.
   If people say the younger generation is lacking values and integrity, I say no way, these people are just fine, thank you, and as we hand off, the world is good hands.
The meeting Saturday was great. I loved seeing the people I only knew from the postings on Yahoo and tried to talk to as many of you as possible. I'm good with strangers, and you were nice to me, too. I liked talking to all of you and hope to do it again.
I stayed an extra day in Remington because I wanted my Capri to have an oil change and checkup with Rick and Cheryl and they took good care of my Capri and sent me home with a clean bill of health. I also enjoyed a day of rest. I replenished my ice chest too.
I got some clip-on sunglasses in Illinois and had a much better time with the snow-blind problem.
I got home with no problems of any kind in 1200 miles in 2 days.
6,500 miles with twisty roads and freeways, even some dirt roads, the Capri ran perfectly with all I asked it to perform. I love my Capri.
Nothing is unbreakable, but the Capri is a joy to drive.
Outside it is tiny, inside it is comfy and roomy, smooth and quiet.
So there.
Tom

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
Road trip 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »

Tom-
I envy you your trip!  Someday, I'll be able to take off for a month or so, and just drive. I would love to travel HWY 1, as well as take the complete Route 66, from start to finish.

It was a pleasure meeting you, and hope we can chat some more at next years meet! By the way, I never did get any of those sausages you mentioned in your note...........  :cool:  

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
Road trip 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 04:25:00 AM »

Awesome, Tom, i remember hearing this story vividly at the MACG, and was wondering if you were gonna tell the tale on here....
This is a big props, shout out, to one capri drivin, son of a gun... and a helluva nice guy to boot... epic trip, and i do envy this one greatly..
 thanks again for putting this one on the site for others to enjoy... Joe..RCICustoms..

220hp@18psi