TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: my red 91 na  (Read 2943 times)

naptime

• http://www.toledotees.com
my red 91 na
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:03:00 AM »

hello all. im new to the forum. someone asked for pictures. so here ya go..

i just recently sold my truck and was looking on craiglist for a new car. came across an ad for a 91 capri for 1700.

i went and checked it out, as i've always liked small convertibles.

it has some rust in the quarters, and the brakes were horrible. i knew i was in for new rotors and pads, and possibly bearings. i offered 13 as a result. they countered with 1400.

then i turned the lights on.

only the pass side came up. the driver side did nothing. after like 30 seconds all of a sudden the driver side started to come up. veeeerrrryy slowly...

when i turned the lights off, same thing...

i told them that would definatley take some money to fix the lights.. so i recountered with 1000. !!

they countered back with 1100. and we closed the deal.  

naptime

my red 91 na
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 07:09:00 AM »

those pictures were taken the day i brought it home. i'll take better pics as i start doing things to it.

the day after i bought it i started the work on the brakes. what an ordeal that was !!!

i knew that at the very least the rear rotors were warped, and i suspected the fronts as well.

so i bought front and rear rotors and pads. as well as rear bearings and seals. new spindle nuts for front and rear.(i didnt do front bearings, honestly, because i didnt want to tackle removing the half shaft to get to the rear bearing)

after getting home and tearing it all apart.. i discovered that the front rotors were the wrong size.. they were only 9.5 inches. and needed to be 10.2"

so i called and told them, and they insisted they were correct. well, you can insist all day. the fact is, these rotors are smaller than mine,and the pads are hanging half off the rotor!!

so, they did some searching, andcalled the manufacturer, then called me back to tell me that i have xr2 rotors... (but all of MY research, tells me that ALL capri's had 10.2" rotors.) the only way my rotors could be different is if my calipers were different as well.

at anyrate, they gave mefull credit on the front rotors, but had to order the new ones from virginia, that took 3 days to get those in.

once they were here, i got it all finished up with no problems. new rotors, new pads, new rear bearings, new spindle nuts.. stops like a dream now.

naptime

my red 91 na
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »

next up was the air filter, wiper blades and oil change.

i got the filter and blades changed, but havent done the oil yet, as i havent looked to see where the filter is located. but i have purchased the oil and filter for when i do get to it.

i got lucky with this purchase, in that in the trunk, was the entire ford shop manual. all 3 bullion pages of it, in a nice blue hardcover binder.

naptime

my red 91 na
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:13:00 AM »

couple days ago i decided to try and do some work on the driver side headlight that was not properly opening or closing.

opened it up to see 20 year old grease that looked like wax. cleaned it all out, and emory clothed the contact plate on the gear. as well as the 3 contact "fingers"

then... i pulled the motor so i could clean the brushes and the armature ....

stupid...

now i cant get the armature back in, because of the springs and brushes..

rocketman gave me a tip to try thread to hold the brushes back. if that doesnt work, it looks like ill be buying a replacement motor.. ughh..

naptime

my red 91 na
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »

i dont have a LOT of plans for the car... but i do plan on putting some nicer rims on it.

if i can come across one at a nice price, i would like to put in one of those dual bubble covers that go over the back seat area.

a think the small wings look pretty slick, so i may end up doing one of those.

the back seat will get pulled and replaced with a small enclosure for a pair of 8" subs and maybe a 2000 watt amp. but i will leave a pcoket above it, since its just the right size for my daughters violin case.

other than that, i probably wont do much to it. other than fixing up the body work. there are a few minor dents here and there. some rust in the rear quarters. and one rust hole in the passenger front quarter.

looks like these are probably common areas for rust..

more pics later !