TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: soft top  (Read 3156 times)

fishface

soft top
« on: August 16, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »

Hey guys,
Ive had my capri for a buot a year with the hard top, the other day i took it off and put up the soft top, it went up easy and came down easy to start.

After a day of it being up, i tried to collapse it into the boot, but it doesn't go in easy now, it folds back ok, but not compressing down fully. I didn't want to force it without asking if there is anything special I should be looking out for when folding it into boot.

thanks.

CapriProject

soft top
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »

I'm a newbe with the Capri but I've read that the 1st support 'bow' needs to be folded back before the top will completely fold down properly. When they're new the straps & top fabric does it for you but as things get older some times the support 'bow' stays in the forward position & stops the top from completely folding down.  If I'm not correct I'm sure someone will correct me.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
soft top
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »

Push the center bar of the roof up & toward the back of the car and the top will fold into the boot nicely
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

accordfan2002

• 91 Capri XR2, 2002 Accord Ex, 09 Ram 1500
Re: soft top
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 02:17:23 AM »

Yeh Rocketman is correct.. it's kind of correctable by using adhesive to hold the center bar to the soft top with the tabs that are present.

Chicken

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 11:23:45 AM »

accordfan2002, I would like to see what you mean.  It would be a nice mod.  pics?

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.

XR2Man

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 11:24:42 AM »

I just got my XR2 and had the same problem. I knew I was doing something wrong but didn't know what. I had it up and down I don't know HOW many times and then I figured it out. That support bow wasn't settling in the correct position and I pulled it into place and that's all it took. But just a word of warning! Don't pinch your fingers when putting the top down! The frame and top material goes down really quick so just keep a good grip on it and keep your hands out of the way of the frame when it folds.
XR2man