TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: 93 NA capri no power to injectors  (Read 4533 times)

mheinze

93 NA capri no power to injectors
« on: December 12, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »

My 93 Capri won't start ran fine for weeks after a tune up now there isn't power to the injectors... car starts on starter fluid and fuel is coming out of the filter with hose disconnected... I'm fairly new to the Capri scene just wanted to figure this out the car ran great before this!!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »

Hmm that's a tough one.

I'd check all your fuses, for good measure. Engine bay block as well as under dash.

-Are you positive the fuel pump is running while cranking? Check the rollover safety switch in the trunk.

-Did the injector harness separate at the connector in the engine bay?

-Check the plugs on the ECU under the passenger side kick panel. Are they in there securely? Is the ECU wet or look water damaged?

-Do the injectors fire? (use a noidlight or feel them for clicking when cranking)

When was the fuel filter replaced?

Your distributor & ignitor are good, because you have spark & the car runs with starting fluid. It's a fuel delivery issue either with the pump or with the ECU failing to fire the injectors.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mheinze

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »

great tips I will be checking all of those in the morning! the wierdest thing is this happened once before and I left the key on and the battery died cause it wouldn't start... I towed it back into the shop with the tractor and charged the battery for a couple hours and it started right up?!?! get that I will update in the morning, thanks for the help

blueamber

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »

Injectors get voltage from the main fuse panel (EGI 30 amp) through the main relay, drivers side under the hood.  Could be a bad relay??? Black/white wire to injectors should have 12 volts when ignition is on...Maybe during the tune-up that wire was disturbed at a connector, and it eventually opened up?...Chris

mheinze

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 04:34:00 AM »

ok... egi 30 amp and all fuses under hood have power, harness is connected under hood and to all injectors, ecu looks fine, i unplugged and plugged back in all three connections and they are secure, i broke the 80 amp main fuse in the process of checking all this but car wouldn't start before hand so im gonna run to the store and grab a new one...  ill check the truck rollover switch where abouts is it i haven't even opened the trunk in a while.  thanks for all the help again guys, just wanna get this thing goin again!  

BTW anyone in ohio that needs a full parts car N/A there is one in a junk yard in springfield ohio that i went to last weekend complete minus wheels great great body no rust and really complete!  if you want more info lmk and ill get the address thanks

Matt

georelle

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 05:04:00 AM »

Trunk rollover switch is next to the spare tire on the drivers side. Lil' red button.

rcdraco

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 07:03:00 AM »

I don't believe that switch would run all the way up the car to the injectors, I think it's only supposed to shut off the fuel pump.  But I can't find the switch on the wiring diagram, so I'm not completely sure.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »

I'm not sure if OP actually tested for power at injectors, right Mheinze? You just have a fuel delivery related no-start condition

blueamber

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »

If you have gas out of the filter on crank, and starter fluid will make it try to run, then the issue must be voltage to the injectors, or missing injector control signals...or 4 bad injectors...or timing is WAY off...

A quick dirty way to check for voltage in a harness is to pierce the rubber insulation of the wire with a needle so that it comes in contact with the copper wire core.  With key off, hook a voltmeter up, key on, verify volts at the injectors.  If you got volts, then the ECU is suspect, (or sensor feeding the ECU?)...no volts means relay could be bad if the EGI fuse has volts on both sides of it.

Tape up the pierced wire afterwards, although the rubber usually will 'heal' and close the hole...

rcdraco

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »

Are the plugs to the distributor plugged in and contacts clean?  The injectors receive the signal from one of the sensors in there, don't remember which.  Might be the fault.  

Have you tried hitting the pedal at all to see if that makes it "kick" at all?

mheinze

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 06:59:00 AM »

ok fuel is coming out the filter just fine I just cant seem to get power to injectors... all fuses double checked and replaced the main 80 amp fuse because I broke it!!  pedal has no affect on the engine starting,  i have wiggled and moved all the harnesses and wires i can trying to figure this is... is there a common short or something else i should be checking?  really need this thing on the road or it might be for sale soon

BlewitUp

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 07:15:00 AM »

check your timing if you haven't yet.  It could have jumped.

I am assuming you haven't done as blueamber suggested.  If you have voltage to the injectores, then they are you problem.  If not.  go to the next thing up the line.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »

I know you keep saying no power at the injectors - but did you actually measure them? They get constant +12v on the one side

BlewitUp

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »

I thought about my post on my way home... I guess it wouldn't be out of time if it ran on starting fluid.