TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Fuel Pump  (Read 5305 times)

BlewitUp

Fuel Pump
« on: December 20, 2011, 01:39:00 AM »

So I was looking and it looks like TechCapri.com doesn't work anymore...  Booooooo.  I was trying to see what it took to replace the fuel pump/sending unit.  When I got the car, everything was fine.  Then after a month or two, it would seemingly run out of gas with about a gallon left in the tank.  Now it runs out of gas with about 3 gallons left.  

Am I correct of this being the fuel pump/send unit?  Or is there some other weird Capri glitch I should be looking at???

Anyone know if there is a website out there where the Repair Manuals are still available?

Thanks,
-Ryan

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Fuel Pump
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 01:48:00 AM »

Look under "General Discussion" the thread at the top is named "TechCapri"

It has a link to a mirror of all the repair PDF's.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

BlewitUp

Fuel Pump
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »

Think I'm on track with the fuel pump?

rcdraco

Fuel Pump
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »

You might have a leak.  Do you smell gas at all when the car has a full tank, like for an abnormal amount of time?  And by 3 gallons, when you fill it how many gallons are you adding?  My car only holds about 11 gallons when I go to fill it, occasionally 11.5.  Tank is rated something like 11.6 gallons.

blueamber

Fuel Pump
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »

I guess that the last time you ran out of gas, you put 8 or so gallons in it to fill it up, right?

I had a similar issue in my 93 xr2.  With only a few gallons left in the tank, the car would try to cut out on me, like it was running out of gas.  I pulled the pump, and found the strainer over the gas intake line was falling apart.  I replaced it and its been ok ever since.  My guess is that when the gas level got low, the pump has to work a little harder to pull up the gas, and the strainer was collapsing, partially blocking fuel flow.  Autozone carries the strainer, pricey, but they have them...Chris

BlewitUp

Fuel Pump
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 05:48:00 AM »

Blue, you mailed it.  That's exactly what it's doing. I was guessing the strainer was getting clogged, or the pump was dying and getting hot then shutting off.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Fuel Pump
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »

Or you have water in you gas..When I bought my last Capri it would die out at just under a 1/4 tank of gas. I put in a can of Berrymans Chem-tool on back to back tanks of gas and could run it to empty every time after that.

you can get it at walmart or any other car store

I run this in my cars all the time. one can every couple months.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

BlewitUp

Fuel Pump
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »

I run that same stuff everyother oil change.

I don't think water would do this for the past 2 months.  Plus, water is heavier than gasoline, so it would cause more of a starting issue, rather than a stalling issue. (assuming I primed the fuel lines with water...)

I will know here in the next couple of days.  As always, I will post pictures and my findings.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Have a Merry Christmas!

-Ryan

BlewitUp

Fuel Pump
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »

Turns out RTV turns to a gel-shitlike material when it comes in contact with gasoline.  I am guessing someone changed the fuel pump, and like me couldn't find a new gasket, so they just RTV'ed the hell out of it.  Well it ended up in my tank, clogging the vent and the pick up sock...  Idiots!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the pictures.

Cleaned the gasket with gas, since it worked so well breaking it down.  Then got a new sock.  So far, so good.  Thanks for the tip Blue!

blueamber

Fuel Pump
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »

I love those nasty, nasty, pictures!  Usually the hardest part of gas tank work, for me, is removing the rear seat.  Getting fat and old, nothing's easy anymore...

Keep driving!...Chris

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Fuel Pump
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »

New gaskets are available, looked on RockAuto: CARTER Part # PTS2000 $10.41

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=296768

Yeah RTV doesn't hold up to fuel... that sucks! at least you got it figured out
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

BlewitUp

Fuel Pump
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 02:16:00 AM »

Yeah... I saw them there. I just couldn't find them while I had the pump out. But its all good. The old on is doing just fine.

Thanks again guys. Hopefully someone else can see this and use the info.

BlewitUp

Fuel Pump
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »

Another up date...

The first two fill ups where fine, now when I fill this stupid thing up all the way, gas pisses out everywhere under the car.  I am going to think since the sending unit was what I disturbed last, that should be my first thing to look in to.

I am also wondering if that is why all the RTV was on there.  When we pulled the sender, the top plate was all bent to hell.  I got one from the JY this morning.  Unfortunatly, when they put the Capri in the yard, they crushed the tank with the skytrack.  Awesome, so when i "Yanked" the sender, I messed up the float.  I am goingto re-mount my float assy. on to my new top plate thing, and get a new gasket.  Hopefully this will stop all my leaks.

I will let you know how it goes.