TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Battery issue  (Read 4645 times)

capriguyJohn

Battery issue
« on: April 01, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »

i have a question on my 91 xr2 i am experiencing battery drain from somewhere I bought a brand new battery installed it and 2 days later the battery was too weak to start the car, although the clock and headlights work. I do a squeal from the belt when car is first started could it be just the belt or does anyone think it's the alternator? If anyone has had this problem please let me kno thanks

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Battery issue
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »

The belts squeal very often on the capri. It needs to be tightened a bit, or replaced. Its a good idea to carry a spare belt with you
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

capriguyJohn

Battery issue
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »

Thank you going to replace the belts then . Have a spare alternator too that I got when purchased my car going to get that checked and might have it all replaced at once. Better to be safe than sorry

capriguyJohn

Battery issue
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »

One thing though that popped into my mind would that still affect a new battery even if the car wasn't started for a couple days?

cj cooley

Battery issue
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 04:27:00 AM »

one thing that i had to fix right away on my capri was the trunk light switch. when i bought the car i noticed the light in the trunk did not come on and after checking i found the light had been unplugged. so i hooked it back up and was happy to see that was the only thing wrong, so i thought! next day my battery was dead and after some investigative work (looking through the boot with the truck shut that the light did not go off! the switch is in the latch mechanism and it was gummed up. after i wd40ed it and worked the latch awhile the switch worked again and all was well! try checking it and i hope that helps, but there are alot of other problem areas that everyone has had to deal with as well.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Battery issue
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »

I had that issue once with my most recent capri, it was unplugged as well. Worth checking into.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

capriguyJohn

Battery issue
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »

I went and checked the trunk light and surprise it was on. I am soo happy that it was just that. Thanks for the help again guys

cj cooley

Battery issue
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »

glad to hear you found the problem and it wasnt too bad a fix! funny how some of the simplest things can make you want to pull your hair out.

rcdraco

Battery issue
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »

It's actually a TSB above.     Pretty interesting what you can find in there.

perrya

Battery issue
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »

If the diodes inside the alt go bad, even one, it will drain the battery without you ever knowing why. It happened to me and my 67 Corvair.

DJEddieK

• http://www.plasticage.com.au
Battery issue
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »

I experienced this problem just recently.
I pulled out the boot lamp, all the interior ones, and the glovebox. Just left the lamps on the rear view mirror and so far so good.
Now i will just start putting it all back 1 at a time to find which was the problem.
My guess is it might have been glovebox, as that globe seems to have died.