TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: coil spring rubber insulators  (Read 2352 times)

Kiwimagic

• 1990 SA SOHC, 1991 SA Verde DOHC, 1994 XR2 Turbo
coil spring rubber insulators
« on: October 05, 2022, 06:48:26 PM »

Hi All
I know that the issue of coil spring insulators has been spoken off in the past.
But that was several years ago.
Are they still available and if so from where.
At the moment I have a short length of reinforced garden hose which I have split along its length and slipped on to the last coil of the bottom spring. I hold it in place with a couple of cable ties.
But I have only the old worn-out rubber on the top of the coil spring.
Any info as to how you have got around this problem would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
kiwimagic

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: coil spring rubber insulators
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 08:54:11 AM »

Hey so I know you posted this months ago, but I also just ran into this problem so I figured I'd add my $0.02.

When I ordered my struts, mounts, and boot kits, I totally forgot about the spring insulators. Whoops. So yeah, I had just what was left of my 32 year old rubber insulators to work with when I reassembled the new struts. The first thing I did was push them as deeply into the space they are meant to go as possible, mostly to try and squeeze all the frayed and ripped bits to a spot that'd have them under the spring. Then I soaked them all down with a ton of silicone spray (get it at the parts store in a can), which I've found works pretty well to re-condition old plastic and (to a lesser extent) rubber. I also used small amounts of spray on gasket-stick type stuff when I was compressing the springs, to help me shove the rubber bits into a good spot. All in all it's pretty ugly, but I do have no metal-on-metal contact above or below any of my 4 springs. Mission sort of accomplished?

Then I did some google-fu and came across this: https://teamenergysuspension.com/energy-products/automotive/universal/universal-coil-spring-isolators/

Haven't tried to order anything yet so no idea if you can actually get your hands on these, but it seems to be precisely what we need. I was going to wait until I ordered a set of H&R springs to figure out what part numbers we would need, but I do have all my old struts and mounts easily available at the moment. I could probably figure out which would work best just with that stuff, if you want.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: coil spring rubber insulators
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 09:23:01 AM »

Sway bar bushings from them also kinda work.
Jack Byrd