TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: DIAGNOSTIC HELP  (Read 1260 times)

NEDREBEL

• 19 RAM, 91 XR2, 78 VOLARE, 67 RAMBLER REBEL
DIAGNOSTIC HELP
« on: May 26, 2022, 03:39:15 PM »

Hi,  I'm a newbie to Capris, but have been playing with cars for 50 years. My problem, NO SPARK.  I picked up a 91 XR2 from a neighbor for scrap price, hadn't been driven in 10 years.  Determined fuel pump was the no start problem.  All the wires were broke off inside the tank. I replaced the tank, fuel pump and brake lines. It fired up. Drove it around the block, turbo kicked in, went to move cars around, left it idling.  My learners permit holding son, went to check under the hood. He attempted to close the hood, without securing the proprod. Picked the hood back up and when he shut it, the car quit running. NO SPARK. The factory service manual is EXTREMELY vague. Power to the coil, nothing coming back. Replaced the upper module, pickup test good. Still no spark, replace coil, just in case.  Couldn't find ignitor, so I found a used distributor. Same thing.  Found an igniter, installed it in the original distributor and tried again.  Does ANYBODY know how to diagnose this, I can't throw any more money at this car.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: DIAGNOSTIC HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 01:56:01 AM »

Welcome to TeamCapri!

Check the wiring and fuses under the driverside area near the main fusebox, there are some connectors there that can cause no-spark if they are not properly connected. The prop rod may have jostled something in there
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 10:26:07 AM »

Welcome, I had a similar no start problem with my first Capri and it was a broken wire in the area Matt mentioned, good luck.
Jack Byrd

NEDREBEL

• 19 RAM, 91 XR2, 78 VOLARE, 67 RAMBLER REBEL
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 02:31:20 PM »

Thanks for the help!  I started checking every connector I could reach and found a broken terminal in the Green connector under the cruise unit.