TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: How many users still active weekly? Picking up my first capri in over 20 years.  (Read 3563 times)

nachius

• formerly 91 n/a, now a 91 xr2 being built

Hey all I've been lurking for a while, but this weekend I'll be picking up a 1991 xr2.  I owned a 91 n/a in the late 90s and a opportunity arose recently to pick up another.  It will be my fun/toy so to speak.

1991 xr2 108k
Blue w/ tan soft top and a hard top that needs paint is included.
radiator needs replaced as it spits at the top where the plastic/metal join when it warms up.
A/C does not work, but will be deleting all that anyways.
Shifter is sloppy.

Pictures and I'm sure TONS of questions to come, but I've been modding/tinkering with cars for 20+ years and am excited to be back at it with a capri.

Short term goals are to get the radiator replaced, track down and fix any leaks or issues, complete any routine maintenance that has not been done, then start down the modification path which I know is quite a bit of custom work since there is a very small aftermarket for these cars.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2

Sounds like a good place to start. You can get shifter bushings at NAPA and other parts stores. They may not show anything for the Capri but that era 323 and Festiva and other Ford, Mazda and Kia use the same bushings. The Festivastore.com has those bushings and also the large stabilizer bushing. You may have a problem finding a radiator. Try https://www.facebook.com/groups/210318449008872 or https://www.facebook.com/groups/363909244289656 for parts.
Jack Byrd

nachius

• formerly 91 n/a, now a 91 xr2 being built

Thanks greywolf27030.  Here I am 4 days and 1 overheat later due to a bad radiator with the entire top of the engine removed down to the short block, the heads at a machine shop to get trued up and a valve job and working on custom fitting an aluminum 3 core radiator.  Guess it's time to start that build thread  ;D

I figure while it's completely torn apart to almost nothing I have tentative plans for:
Front mount intercooler
Tbird Hybrid Turbo
Rocket Labs ECU if I can track him down
Manual Boost Controller
Need to figure out the turbo system as I'd like to do an intake and bov

but... don't want to get ahead of myself as I need to get at least the top end of the block back together and true first...

Lots to learn lots to learn lots to learn!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2

Looking good there. Rocketman is a really busy guy and has a lot of irons in the fire, so he is hard to catch up with sometime. Keep at it.
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com

Yes I am here as time allows. Replied to your email.
Sounds like you're already in deep, hah.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"