TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Very high startup idle  (Read 1140 times)

SteveRamm

• 1989 Ford Capri 1.6 convertible, 5 speed manual
Very high startup idle
« on: January 27, 2022, 09:21:02 PM »

Hi all. My idle problem is quite different. It idles high, around 1400 for about 20 minutes then drops back to a nice 900. It always does this, in any conditions. I've had 3 mechanics look at it. I've replaced the idle module, rebuilt the intake manifold and head, cleaned the injectors and serviced the air flow meter. I have the mixture screw all the way in otherwise the startup idle would be around 2000. Any help would be appreciated

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Very high startup idle
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 09:15:35 AM »

Both of mine idle around 2200 to 2500RPM when really cold. But it takes, maybe 5 minutes for it to warm up. It sounds like you may have a slightly clogged IAC. It has enough water flowing though it that it eventually closes down the idle but it just takes a while. How long does it take for the engine to get up to operating temperature?
Jack Byrd