TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Coolant Issue  (Read 2815 times)

Imber

Coolant Issue
« on: September 19, 2021, 03:31:11 AM »

My 1991 XR2 pours out coolant somewhere at the back of the engine(towards the firewall) as soon as i put it in the radiator, any ideas?

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: Coolant Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 09:35:38 AM »

As in, you pour it in, and it dumps right back out, without the engine even running?

Take a look at the hoses back there. If they look okay, look at the freeze plugs on the engine block. Over time they can get corroded and start to leak. It's an easy enough fix, provided you can get enough access to it to hammer in a new one. If you have any pictures or videos of the leak, I could probably be more help.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 11:23:58 AM »

There is a small water hose that goes from the block right below the head to the IAC. easily missed. There are also freeze plugs that are rubber and you tighten a bolt the make them seal that don't required being driven in.
Jack Byrd

Imber

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 05:14:38 PM »

As in, you pour it in, and it dumps right back out, without the engine even running?

Take a look at the hoses back there. If they look okay, look at the freeze plugs on the engine block. Over time they can get corroded and start to leak. It's an easy enough fix, provided you can get enough access to it to hammer in a new one. If you have any pictures or videos of the leak, I could probably be more help.

correct, it happens without the car even being turned on, ill get a video posted in a few minutes for you

Imber

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 05:15:27 PM »

There is a small water hose that goes from the block right below the head to the IAC. easily missed. There are also freeze plugs that are rubber and you tighten a bolt the make them seal that don't required being driven in.

where are the freeze plugs? also i’ll definitely check that hose

Imber

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 05:25:59 PM »

https://youtube.com/shorts/DQFwuIep24M?feature=share heres the video, hoping i can get this fixed because i love this car and it runs great but obviously it isnt holding coolant

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 08:23:27 AM »

That looks to be about the area of the little hose I mentioned. The freeze plugs are near the bottom of the block.
Jack Byrd

Imber

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 05:42:24 PM »

im gonna go ahead and check for that lil hose again then lol

Imber

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 05:59:03 PM »

That looks to be about the area of the little hose I mentioned. The freeze plugs are near the bottom of the block.

i just checked and that is in fact not connected to the IAC so where does that hose come from the block

Imber

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 09:59:35 PM »

the car is fixed now and runs great thanks to you, means alot, thank you kind stranger

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 10:59:11 AM »

Glad I could help, good luck with it. There is usually someone here to help.
Jack Byrd