TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32

Author Topic: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod  (Read 52866 times)

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod
« Reply #315 on: July 23, 2022, 07:19:00 AM »

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ShelterLogic-10-ft-W-x-15-ft-D-x-8-ft-H-PE-Garage-without-Floor-in-Tan-w-Patented-Stabilizers-and-Best-in-Class-Tightening-62681-0/202718928

Check this out! If you look in the pictures, you'll see a mid-2000's Ford Focus fits quite nicely in there. My hope is that if I back the Capri in, and push it into a corner, I'll have both room to work on her as well as room to store all my lawn stuff and my kid's toys. It's pretty small, but it's cheap and it looks sturdy. I'd love to put up a pole barn or a real garage, but the terrain here isn't really suited for that. This has an 8 foot ceiling, and that's going to be butting up against the trees. It's also going to be right up against my (tiny) house, and a few feet in front of a small cliff and some woods. What I'm saying is, this is the only good option I really have. I even got the wife's blessing!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #316 on: July 23, 2022, 08:49:23 AM »

Wish I had room for something like that.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #317 on: July 23, 2022, 07:37:44 PM »

Wish I had room for something like that.

I barely have room, but I'll make the thing fit if it means being able to work on my car at home. It's probably going to be pretty cramped, but I can't find anything bigger for under around $800

EShepherd

« Reply #318 on: September 08, 2022, 06:30:08 PM »

So I still haven't had a chance to move the car to my new house. I'm also having an extremely difficult time getting my hands on the title for the car, which is definitely hindering my motivation to finish it out.

I'm not gonna lie. I recently got a very sizeable raise at my job. I've been really debating buying a newer roadster; something like an ND Miata or an '06ish Boxster. I'd LOVE to get the Capri running and drive it for a while, I just don't have much time to tinker with it anymore. Any of you guys wanna come out to New York, figure out why it's not starting, and make some money?  :-\

EShepherd

« Reply #319 on: September 19, 2022, 05:09:21 PM »

Just wanted to tease it. I've got updates pending guys. News soon. Friggin rain, halting my parade.

Also just wanted to add this; the rusted out remains of my original '91 XR2 are officially gone. Took anything I thought looked valuable off of it and boxed it all up. Literally cut the car in half, loaded the halves sideways on an open trailer, and towed it to the scrap yard. Sad to see another Capri end up like this, but she was so far gone it wasn't worth the effort. Anyways, ya'all ready for the kicker? Current scrap value of a 1991 XR2, sans interior, drivetrain, suspension, etc. : $42. Seriously. I'm not even sure it was worth the effort.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 05:14:47 PM by EShepherd »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #320 on: September 20, 2022, 08:30:07 AM »

Wow......about all you gained was space.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #321 on: September 20, 2022, 07:06:15 PM »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dHwdJH-vzM3qwzf3Yp783yLnmB6PsnmO/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dLF2BPB8lza0ilYRLXirhZxT3jg1G7ul/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dLwkHJDliB_zer-ZE-OK2ElKmuJdjOry/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ddsfZHUCMq3pQXLHz7a2_P2FSLMdoF2C/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dWOHW2swJ_eBiVXMFrPQ6SLmzky2w53x/view?usp=sharing
(Let me know if pics don't work. I tried linking right to my Google Drive.

Okay guys, there's my big surprise. Don't mind the old shitty Altima, or the fact that it's hanging slightly out the garage. There is a table down at the end; I could otherwise easily fit the whole hooptie inside. The Capri is a solid 6 feet, at least, shorter than 'ol leaky here, too. So I shall have, not all of the room in the world, but certainly more than the space in which I rebuilt the engine. And it's MINE. It might just be essentially PVC pipe and tarp, but it's the first thing I've owned that I can call MY workshop, for MY cars. I'm pretty excited!

So it isn't fully assembled yet. I still need to finish it, and I plan on putting in some sort of floor. And lights. I used a bit of a family emergency, and the ensuing three days in a row off of work (!!!), to purchase and install it to this point. Once it's ready, my Capri is just a few miles across town. I'll tow her home, and then I guess I'll rip her nose back off so Matt can tell me what I missed.

BTW Matt, I took a quick peak at the car today. Right next to the small white test connector coming off of the VAF, is a fairly large black two wire connector that is empty. I had no tools or light, but it appeared to my best guess to be coming from the chassis harness up through the passenger fender. I suspect that would be my missing signal between the ignition switch and the starter.... I will know more once I have the car home.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #322 on: September 22, 2022, 09:09:05 AM »

Congratulations, I know that's going to make working on your car better. Shelter makes life so much better. Maybe you'll be able to get going before winter.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #323 on: September 28, 2022, 07:36:42 PM »

Thanks!  So I purchased the missing ingredients (trailer light wiring harness, and a two inch ball for my wife's truck) to tow the Capri to my new house! I'm off work this whole weekend, and plan to do it then. We are supposed to be getting hit by hurricane Ian around then, so I'll have to see how the weather is first. But soon I can get the car here, and keep trying to get her to start.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #324 on: September 29, 2022, 07:45:44 AM »

Good luck and be safe.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #325 on: October 02, 2022, 04:18:07 PM »

News, news, and more news. And guys, I'm a SPECTACULAR idiot. Bear with me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lGvH_1STUVaaBX-RbaUVvuWu-peDncvf/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lJbf89K1NTOfYFpriPcJ0htPxWRrrxMQ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l8R8vZ7PFF6Prx1MPe9Nex7svFh-8Lxc/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l8HtfwsNoOOkp4cBnoiGB4FIPW_o18JU/view?usp=sharing

As cooperative as she usually is, the day of her big move landed squarely in the midst of our remnants of hurricane Ian. I got her to her new home, fully prepared to rip the entire car apart to figure it out. Now, the battery is extremely dead (and my jumper box at work), so I can not test this theory, but I suspect I am bang on. So the one lonely connector I had, came out of the body harness from the FL fender, and routed out around the VAF. I needed to find the home for this guy. Well, here's the idiot bit. That frigging connector, well she plugged right into the bottom of the fuse box  ::) As soon as I did that, and hooked up the battery, the headlights came on. All the stuff that didn't work before, does now; radio, headlamp motors, etc.

Ya'll have until tomorrow evening, when I get home from work with my jump box, to bet on it. Whom here thinks the thing is gonna finally turn over tomorrow, and stop fighting me? If so, this does mean that I lost the entire summer (prime convertible season) because I missed plugging in the damned fuse box, of all things. That'll be my cross to bear.

I wonder if this little number is related to the issue where my 80a main fuse blows, and my battery starts arc welding, if I plug in my alternator. That'd be LOVELY.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #326 on: October 03, 2022, 08:35:51 AM »

That's great, fingers crossed.
Jack Byrd

nachius

• formerly 91 n/a, now a 91 xr2 being built
« Reply #327 on: October 03, 2022, 12:24:29 PM »

Here's to hoping that solves all the issues, but it sure sounds like it could! I didn't leaf through the wiring diagrams, but we all know how much havoc the fuses/box or lack there of can cause. Looking forward to the update tonight.

EShepherd

« Reply #328 on: October 05, 2022, 05:29:55 PM »

Sorry guys. So I had literally minutes that night to work on my car. Minutes, Filled the coolant, plugged in the starter, hooked up the battery and jump box, hit the key.............and nothing.

My kid had student-teacher conferences that night. I've been pulling 12-hour work days since, in preparation for vacation. Busy busy. Looks like Sunday will be my next free minutes to look at it.  :'(

EShepherd

« Reply #329 on: October 09, 2022, 11:50:54 AM »

Day off today. Been doing some tinkering, and some studying of the wiring diagram. So right off the 80A main fuse, you get a red wire. This red wire goes to the ignition switch, with a branch going to the alternator. The alternator, which you may remember, I have disconnected (because it was blowing up my 80A fuses). I am also unsure of where I have that red wire routed beyond the alternator, but the diagram is showing it going to a two-pin connector along with a red/white wire. The red/white wire also originates from the alternator. I suspect somewhere in this information is the solution to my no-start. Wish me luck!

Update: Verified multiple things. First off, my alternator is 100% bad. I have continuity in both directions from the stud to the case, so the internal diodes are shot. If anyone could link me to the correct replacement, that'd be great! I've heard about poorly fitting alternator pulleys, and don't need more issues.

Second, the signal to the ignition switch is good on the engine side of the car. While beginning to explore the chassis side of the harness, I made a nice discovery...the fuse block under the driver's side has had some shennanigans going on. A lot of non-functioning things can be explained by missing fuses (IE power windows). I have improper fuses in some spots. Best of all, I have so far counted TWO connectors not plugged in. So this will be the area I explore next. Hopefully I don't need to strip this chassis down to nothing to figure this out. I know my ignition switch works enough to cycle the key on. I just don't get why it won't even try to start.

Second Update: More discoveries - The thus far dead cooling fan now works, with a fuse in. It runs constantly with the key on, engine off. That seems incorrect. Also, I suspect I have a bad ignition relay. That's ordered, and I'll pick it up after work tomorrow. I still never found the home for two connectors tucked up behind the interior fuse box. They probably plug into the back of it, I just don't have a mirror or good enough light with me to see. I did unbolt it, but it feels like there is a ton of connectors in the back. I can't blindly feel if anything is missing. Hopefully the relay fixes the car (I friggin doubt it at this point)

Final Update: I'm done working for the day guys. No new information, I just worked on pulling some interior trim bits out. It's fun seeing work Matt must have done ages ago (judging by the amount of corrosion on the non-OEM fuses), such as painting the center console trim parts black. The cool thing about this portable garage is that I basically have a paint booth. Just add fans. Once the car runs, I'm absolutely going to restore the body and interior. I'm even debating filming it and putting a series on YouTube - I've never done ANY body work, so I feel like it'd be useful to show people the learning curve. I just love the idea of picking up where someone left off, however long ago it may have been
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 04:29:52 PM by EShepherd »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32