TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32

Author Topic: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod  (Read 52893 times)

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod
« Reply #285 on: May 18, 2022, 04:48:47 PM »

Lot's of updates since the forum has been down for  while. I'll try to keep this pretty short, since free time for me is extremely hard to come by lately. I have amazing news, bad news, and potentially catastrophic news. In order, shall we? The car is currently 95% back together! Engine and transmission in. all the lines and hoses in. etc. It's just short of a front bumper, hood, and a few electrical components. Here's a couple pictures:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OvMl5WTlCyvnV1SG9u_8J8WPvmrDqurG/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OvDco7sAmn1Z-_C62Gvg4mKbKKsLUkzZ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OxZO56GsExR8AEZ01eBt5nQdscjzqhM6/view?usp=sharing

So that brings me to today. Ive slowly been filling it with fluids in order to check it for leaks. Power steering - no issues. Brake fluid - same deal. Here comes bad news #1. I filled it with coolant today, and it's very slowly weeping out of most of the core plus/freeze plugs on the block. What a bummer. Looks like I should be able to replace them without pulling the engine....I just need to remove; the power steering pump, the exhaust manifold, the turbo, possibly the radiator and fan, the intake manifold, throttle body bracket, starter motor, and possibly the alternator. No biggie, right? RIGHT?!? BLEH

As for the tragic news, I was wiring up the car when I discovered that I have managed to lose both my main relay and fuel pump relay. The fuel pump one appears to be readily available on Rock Auto. The main relay. not so much. Can't find it. Anywhere. Without that. I may never have a running Capri. I need your help, guys. I need a new main relay. It lives under the dash, right with the ECM. In this location, plugged into the white connector. I'm also looking for the fuel pump relay, which plugs into the yellow one:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P5_ddYZW9VbZR2bJyW-da2Rd4LUF7r4u/view?usp=sharing

And one last missing tibit I just noticed. What goes to this fitting on the fuel filter. or canister, or whatever you want to call this piece:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OwiGpt52mDydxu5x4LraJDPRmvfGsaoM/view?usp=sharing

A massive thanks to anyone who can help me source either of those relays!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #286 on: May 18, 2022, 07:15:30 PM »

That last bit is the fuel vapor canister, there's a vacuum line that runs from there to the purge solenoid
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #287 on: May 28, 2022, 10:01:23 AM »

Lot's of updates since the forum has been down for  while. I'll try to keep this pretty short, since free time for me is extremely hard to come by lately. I have amazing news, bad news, and potentially catastrophic news. In order, shall we? The car is currently 95% back together! Engine and transmission in. all the lines and hoses in. etc. It's just short of a front bumper, hood, and a few electrical components. Here's a couple pictures:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OvMl5WTlCyvnV1SG9u_8J8WPvmrDqurG/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OvDco7sAmn1Z-_C62Gvg4mKbKKsLUkzZ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OxZO56GsExR8AEZ01eBt5nQdscjzqhM6/view?usp=sharing

So that brings me to today. Ive slowly been filling it with fluids in order to check it for leaks. Power steering - no issues. Brake fluid - same deal. Here comes bad news #1. I filled it with coolant today, and it's very slowly weeping out of most of the core plus/freeze plugs on the block. What a bummer. Looks like I should be able to replace them without pulling the engine....I just need to remove; the power steering pump, the exhaust manifold, the turbo, possibly the radiator and fan, the intake manifold, throttle body bracket, starter motor, and possibly the alternator. No biggie, right? RIGHT?!? BLEH

As for the tragic news, I was wiring up the car when I discovered that I have managed to lose both my main relay and fuel pump relay. The fuel pump one appears to be readily available on Rock Auto. The main relay. not so much. Can't find it. Anywhere. Without that. I may never have a running Capri. I need your help, guys. I need a new main relay. It lives under the dash, right with the ECM. In this location, plugged into the white connector. I'm also looking for the fuel pump relay, which plugs into the yellow one:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P5_ddYZW9VbZR2bJyW-da2Rd4LUF7r4u/view?usp=sharing

And one last missing tibit I just noticed. What goes to this fitting on the fuel filter. or canister, or whatever you want to call this piece:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OwiGpt52mDydxu5x4LraJDPRmvfGsaoM/view?usp=sharing

A massive thanks to anyone who can help me source either of those relays!

Great work, hang in there.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #288 on: May 30, 2022, 05:12:14 PM »

I've got all but 2 of the freeze plugs out. Two of them are pretty mangled up now and sort of stuck in their bores. I'm still confident I'll get them out, but a brand new 2" deep hole in my hand put a pretty big stop on my first attempt at removal. I've had several new parts show up over the last week: front swaybar bushings and endlinks, front lower ball joints, front outer tie rods, and even both front lower control arms. The ones I ordered are for an '89 Mazda 323GT. They look right, but I haven't had the chance yet to pull the old ones off and check. Just trying to clean up all the issues I've spotted with the car so far. Like, everything made of rubber. I also got all new freeze plugs, the Indian Head gasket maker, and even the Stinger tool to try and help me put the new plugs in. I have a better (steel) intake manifold gasket coming, with new hardware to bolt it down. I have a set of studs and nuts bookmarked for the exhaust side, but am still debating  on if I'll pull that trigger.

Still trying to find wiring information or a source for my missing relay situation

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #289 on: May 31, 2022, 08:03:56 AM »

This is great.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #290 on: May 31, 2022, 10:31:16 AM »

So I was mulling over my whole missing relay situation, and I had an epiphany. I'm a automotive technician by trade, but I work for Nissan. No factory service manuals for a Capri for me. However, our used car guy does have a subscription to either All Data or Mitchell Pro Demand...I forget which. I'm out of state for training until Thursday, but I'm gonna have him try to dig up factory wiring diagram for me.

If I can't find diagrams, I'm going to need to trace the whole circuit by hand to try and figure out a way to work around the missing relay. I really, really don't want to be forced to do that. I might start looking harder at stand alone ECUs st that point, and wiring the rest of the car through a PDM setup.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #291 on: June 01, 2022, 03:19:55 AM »

All the wiring diagrams are on Tech Capri

https://www.techcapri.com/Wiring.html
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

« Reply #292 on: June 01, 2022, 07:39:39 AM »

All the wiring diagrams are on Tech Capri

https://www.techcapri.com/Wiring.html

I think it's been a while since I said it, but you are my absolute hero man. Thanks a billion!

EShepherd

« Reply #293 on: June 16, 2022, 05:52:30 AM »

I have lots of minor updates for you guys. First of all, if anyone knows of a new image host that I could upload photographs to from my phone, and then link them here, that'd be great. Imgur stopped working for me, and I have far too many pictures to post one at a time. So if anyone has a solution to that dilemma, I'd appreciate it.

So first of all, I got all the core plugs out. I also got the three bigger (35mm) ones installed correctly, with the correct sealer. The plugs for the smaller holes (30mm) don't seem to fit right. They are too loose. It's the same part number I used originally, so this is probably why the freeze plugs were leaking. I have copper ones on order; hopefully, they are slightly bigger. Hopefully, I can fill in those holes soon.

The suspension stuff started showing up. Wonderful news - the Mazda 323 control arms DO work on the Capri. The first ball joints I ordered didn't work with them - the bolt centers were off by a couple of millimeters. I ordered a separate set, and they look right. I did have to order the rear control arm bushings separately, as they did not come with the arms. They are also different part numbers for each side. However, I believe they too will work. I also have a single front strut mount for the 323 coming, it is my hope that it will also work on the Capri. If so, then I do believe I can rebuild all 4 struts on the car using aftermarket shocks and bump stops and mounts with lowering springs.

And the last small update; I do believe I have figured out what belongs to the two empty electrical connectors I have near my ECM. The one is a fuel pump relay which I have ordered new from Rock Auto. The other is something called an Electrical Load Control Unit, and that's on it's way to me from Ebay.

So there's your small update. I've also painted a bunch of nasty rusty brackets and similar parts black. I have a bunch of pics, just no easy way to post them. Sorry about that

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #294 on: June 16, 2022, 08:06:45 AM »

Hang in there, we're all wanting to see this build on the road.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #295 on: June 16, 2022, 06:44:08 PM »

Hang in there, we're all wanting to see this build on the road.

Right? It's been sooooo long. So many parts. And I got <-> this close to trying to start it. I was just oil, fuel, the missing fuel pump relay, and the coolant which leaked out, away from finally hearing her run. I should have everything I need now....provided I can find the proper sized core plugs. I'm literally preying the brass/copper/whatever ones are ever so slightly larger than the steel ones. Dorman does make these doofy little expanding rubber freeze plugs, which may work, but look highly questionable as a long term solution.

All the hours spent just porting and polishing the head. I can't friggin wait to hear this old girl run again. I do need to fix the section of exhaust thats missing....but I can live with a really loud first heat cycle at this point.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #296 on: June 17, 2022, 09:24:35 AM »

Hey, we're with you. Good luck.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #297 on: June 17, 2022, 07:02:27 PM »

Back on track, guys! Got home from work to find three packages from Rock Auto waiting for me. Let me tell yah, I think we smacked a home run here.

First off, the freeze plugs came. The new brass ones. They are just the right amount larger and will fit my block perfectly. Boom, leak solved. Secondly, the fuel pump relay showed up. Clipped right into that naked connector next to my ECM. Beautiful. Third, the front strut mount for the Mazda 323 came in. I haven't pulled my strut out of the car yet to make absolutely sure, but it does indeed look like it will work. It has only two mounting studs up top, but is otherwise identical. The bolt centers are the only thing I'm not positive are right. Either way though, they can definitely at a minimum be modified and made to work.

That's all the issues I'm aware of solved, minus the other empty connector. That part is ordered and should be arriving next week. I'm again at the point where I'm pretty confident I have all the bits I need to get the car running! Just need the free time now

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #298 on: June 18, 2022, 08:46:31 AM »

I have an issue you might can help me with. Chassis ground. I found corroded grounds that attached to the front and back of the engine on the passenger side. One in front of the distributor and one on the VAF. The problem is that my front turn signals still don't work. I can ground the sockets and they are fine. Can you remember any more grounds that your found in removing the engine that might help me?

Thanks,
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #299 on: June 18, 2022, 07:01:43 PM »

I have an issue you might can help me with. Chassis ground. I found corroded grounds that attached to the front and back of the engine on the passenger side. One in front of the distributor and one on the VAF. The problem is that my front turn signals still don't work. I can ground the sockets and they are fine. Can you remember any more grounds that your found in removing the engine that might help me?

Thanks,

Sure. So I know for sure there is one by the passenger headlight, sort of near the power steering pump. Other than that, I know there are multiple around the VAF, battery tray, and distributor like you said. My memory isn't perfect, but I want to say there are 3-5 of them there, not counting the negative battery cables. I can count them tomorrow when I'm working on the thing.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32