Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri XR-2 89-94

A Treatise on Turbo Upgrades

<< < (2/8) > >>

Jim Simms:
Thanks for the info.
This site sure helps when talking to locals.
I found a turbo mechanic in Costa Mesa. CA, and the Team Capri info helps a lot.

xan175:
So i'm just kind of curious why you wouldn't just bolt on the T-bird turbo? or the VJ11 without making a hybrid?

Rocketman:

--- Quote from: xan175 on February 17, 2016, 09:52:24 PM ---So i'm just kind of curious why you wouldn't just bolt on the T-bird turbo? or the VJ11 without making a hybrid?

--- End quote ---

The Tbird turbo uses a T3 flange, and will not bolt to the Capri manifold. The VJ11 and VJ14 are the only bolt-on turbos.
You can use the full VJ11. The turbine housing is optimized for a larger engine and will thus spool slower.

Ed Hunter:
Hello rocket, i found on the MX6 forum that compared the VJ11 vs a VJ5 which showed they are basically the same turbo (I guess the coolant inlet out let bosses are in a different spot which is not a big deal for this hybrid style). I was curious because i had access to a good used VJ5, So i grabbed it. Well i created the hybrid with my VJ14 and VJ5, drilled out the waste gate hole, bolted it on for testing purposes and it worked great. I have (and had) a small oil leak from my VJ14 so i'm going to get it professionally rebuilt and balanced like you suggest. Just thought i'd let you know it's another option. Thanks for this super helpful post.
-Charles

Gaz:
Delete this, I got my answer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version