TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Changing Water Pump  (Read 3233 times)

WickedClown

Changing Water Pump
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »

I'm taking my car to have the water pump changed out in a few days. I'm buying the parts beforehand. I already have the new waterpump that came with one gasket. I'm also having a new timing belt installed while they're in the area. Aside from the water pump i bought and the belt I'm going to buy, does anyone suggest I buy any other parts to take with me? I've not had this job done on my car before. It's got 130,000 miles on it and I bought it 10,000 miles ago, so I'm not sure what kind of maintenance has been done by past owners. I'm just wondering if there are any other parts I will need to have the water pump and timing belt changed out. Any help is much appreciated!

azgtx

• Old-Timer
Changing Water Pump
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »

The only problem with taking your parts to have put in is the shop won't warranty them if they go bad. Let them do the job all the way...better in the long run in case something happens. The little you save up front taking your parts will cost you double in the end.
my .02
Clay

WickedClown

Changing Water Pump
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »

Do you mean if they mess up doing the work or just if it's the parts that go bad? The water pump comes with a warranty, and I'm not so much worried about the timing belt.

gadawgs34

Changing Water Pump
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »

i would replace everything that touches a belt it is all gonna be off when they go to replace the timing belt except your ac if that is working fine all the rest if you are not sure it would be a real pain if something else goes bad and you did not replace it when ya was just there if you like i could send you that part of the shop man and ir will tell you what all has to come off and i would let the shop atleast provide your timing belt if it wipes out after they fix it that motor is there baby   :cool:
Mike Robinson

azgtx

• Old-Timer
Changing Water Pump
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 12:56:00 AM »

I any part you take them fails you will then have to pay for the labor again to replace the failed part or parts. If they do the complete job and anything fails within their warranty period you will pay nothing. I have had new waterpumps out of the box that were bad. Same thing with alternators has happened to me...it's your money...just speaking from experience seeing people get in this situation.

WickedClown

Changing Water Pump
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 03:14:00 AM »

OK I think I understand. Thank you for the advise! Yes, that would leave a sour taste in my mouth, having to pay double to have my water pump replaced.   :D