Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri N/A 89-94

Emissions Problems

(1/3) > >>

Surfnut:
My fantastic capri, which has been one of the best running, most reliable cars I've ever owned and I happen to love dearly, will not pass an Emissions test which is mandatory to renew my plates.

Specifically, it will not pass the NO parts per million test.
The mechanic says it could be:
1.  Bad EGR
2.  Excessively lean air/fuel ratio
3.  Excessive spark advance
4.  Faulty Thermostatic Air Cleaner system
5.  "Carboned Up" engine.

I don't think we have EGR's?  Do we ?
I don't know how to check my air/fuel ratio
Other than pulling the head, how do I "uncarbon" the engine ?  I've heard people say "Go for a good highway run and blow out the carbon."  Which I don't believe especially since my car is driven on the higway on a regular basis.
I assume "Excessive spark advance" means timing which I would bet my left arm there's nothing wrong with.
If I can't get this car to pass an emissions test, I can't drive it and that would break my heart.  On top of the fact that I'd have to go buy a car to get back and forth to work in.

I am in dire straits with this problem.  Any advice anyone can give me would be hugely appreciated.

As extras, I have a brand new thermostat a cat with less than 10 miles on it and a brand new air filter and I filled the car with premium before the test.  

Please help.
Thanks
Dave

1992xr2:
Do a tune-up, change your plugs, wires, cap and rotor, get an oem mazda pcv valve, check the timing and run a can of sea foam through it, that should help signifcantly if it hasn't had those things changeed in a while.  If that doesn't work just find a shady shop.

Surfnut:
What year/model Mazda PCV do I get ?
What is "Seafoam"?

I failed to mention that the car passed all other aspects of the emissions test with flying colors.  Only on the "driven" part of the test where the car is drive between 29 and 31 miles per hour did the NO emissions fail.
The HC and CO tests were virtually nothing but the NO is through the roof.

I changed the plugs and wires about 3 months ago.  I would love to find a shady shop but the computers are all linked to the government's main frame and data is transmitted in real time.

Surfnut:
Oh, one other thing, I also installed a new Bosch oxygen sensor the night before the e-test.

Gus Kelley:
Hey Surfnut! Check the timing belt. Anotherwords pull the belt cover off and check that timing gears are properly lined up. Two of my capris were off when I bought them. They were off one and two teeth. Did not run with a lot of power is why I checked. Seafoam is a chemical that is ran through the engine to loosen up carbon build-up in the combustion chamber.  Good Luck  Gus.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version