TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: My turbo knowledge..  (Read 3077 times)

jbump

My turbo knowledge..
« on: March 07, 2012, 04:15:00 AM »

Okay! So I am still pretty new to this turbo stuff, but I've done a lot of reading. My basic understanding is that somewhere the exhaust pressure builds up, causing the wastegate to open and spin a turbine. This turbine pushes/pulls air into the engine to give your gas more kick.       And to install an Boost controller (manual ball spring in my case) You put it in the intake line that goes to the wastegate. This makes it so the wastegate won't do any creeping/dumping/opening until the set psi is reached.    A BOV is for (more or less) sounding cool, until you reach a higher boost level. Then it allows all the gasses to be vented to air (in my case again) instead of trying to go back out the intake spin the turbine the wrong way.    And installing a BOV was too confusing for 2am last night so the only thing I got was finding the stock bypass valve and essentially sticking the BOV to where it went. An FMIC (with bigger pipes) Is a device to cool air causing the molecules to shrink together allowing even more than the bigger pipes allowed into the turbo which makes it kick even harder.    

Now I'm confused about is that I was told an intercooler causing more strain on the engine/turbo.   This is because of too much air and running hotter?    I also read that a ball spring style BC causes more strain on the engine as it doesn't allow the gradual boost creep that a bleeder or the current stock bypass valve.  

Am I mostly right? Lol  I'm probably forgetting a lot, I only had 4 hours of sleep.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
My turbo knowledge..
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 04:46:00 AM »

Lol, close, but not quite. Here we go:

The turbo manifold collects the exhaust gasses from each cylinder and "funnels" them into the turbine housing. This forces the gasses to pick up velocity, and then "throws" them into the turbine itself. The turbine is essentially like a fan blade, (think a pinwheel of sorts) that is designed to derive energy from the passing exhaust gasses by spinning.

The turbine is connected to a shaft, the other end is connected to a compressor. It's also like a fan blade, and when the turbine spins it super fast it moves a hell of a lot of air, cramming it into the engine and building boost.

The wastegate doesn't come into play until you reach your desired boost level. It's a valve - a controlled "leak" around the turbine. When you achieve max boost, the wastegate diaphragm pushes open a little door that lets the gas flow around the turbine, instead of through it. This keeps the speed down, controlling boost. The diaphragm works off the boost pressure, so you have a feedback loop that self-regulates the boost. Installing a boost controller affects the boost level at which the wastegate opens, essentially fooling it, so you can run higher boost. (the wastegate will open later, allowing more gasses to enter the turbine than stock)

The BOV/BPV is critical to the turbo system, it's not just for sounding cool. When the turbo is boosting it's spinning thousands and thousands of RPM - I think the VJ14 hits 80-100k RPM. If you suddenly let off the gas - the turbo doesn't just stop due to inertia. It's still pushing air, and now that the throttle is closed, it doesn't have anywhere to go. Without a blowoff or bypass valve, this would cause the turbo to rapidly slow down or "stall", and would cause massive pressure spikes in the intake piping, blowing hoses apart. Stalling the turbo is very, very hard on the turbo bearings and turbine shaft, it can snap it clear in half. So the BOV or BPV opens and vents or re-routes the air that's still moving, without putting any undue stress on the turbo or intake pipes.

Whoever told you an intercooler causes more "strain" on the engine is dead wrong. It makes the turbo system more efficient. When you compress air, it heats up. Hot air is bad for the engine - so an intercooler is an air-to-air radiator of sorts, to cool off the air once it's been compressed. The XR2 is equipped with an intercooler, but it's small and prone to heat-soak, so upgrading it will help out tremendously.

Ball-spring boost controllers are more effective than the bleeder types. They allow you to spool faster. In reality, the wastegate door (valve) gradually opens as more boost is built- allowing some gasses to go around the turbine. This slows the spool time a bit. When using a ball-spring valve, the valve doesn't let the wastegate to see any pressure until it reaches the desired setting - so the wastegate stays closed until just about max boost, where it will much more suddenly pop open. This lets the max amount of gasses enter the turbine before the wastegate opens, resulting in a faster spool time (there is no gradual "leak") A bleed-valve is just a controlled leak in the line, it does not allow the wastegate to open suddenly.

Some of this is a bit over-simplified but I hope it conveys the point. I also suggest finding some more reliable sources of information, if they're recommending against a FMIC or ball-spring MBC because of extra "strain" lol, those are pretty ridiculous statements. Squeezing more power out of your engine stresses it more yes, but these engines are built to take it. And when everything's done properly you will have a fast yet super reliable ride.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rcdraco

My turbo knowledge..
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 05:43:00 AM »

I can understand some of their theories regarding the sudden shock when the valve might open for the wastegate, but frankly that diaphragm is built for abuse; since it can be moving almost the entire time you're driving a turbo car.  Frankly though you're dealing with a fairly robust turbocharger.

On intercoolers though I have heard of problems with excessive air resistance creating a difference of pressure between the impeller outlet and the intake manifold.  But nowadays and with the sort of numbers we're talking about, as long as you use any quality intercooler you should be fine on the capri.

jbump

My turbo knowledge..
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »

Oh Wow. haha. That was pretty in-depth (to me at least) And if that's over simplified I'm glad I'm not a mechanic. =]     That makes quite a lot of sense and really assures me of my choices for the car so far. I'm more or less afraid of breaking the car by not understanding everything about what I'm doing. Thanks!
Also I wasn't being assured not to upgrade to those, I just saw some disheartening things and needed a second opinion.