TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: AEM Tru Boost  (Read 1848 times)

frobro85

AEM Tru Boost
« on: November 23, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »

So I spotted one of these used on craigslst for dirtcheap, got it installed today and I gotta say the thing works great.It was a bit funky getting it set up but this with the exhaust is loads of fun and works better than the mbc I was using before. Helps get the turbo going faster and holds steady right now at about 9.5lbs(the faster part is most likly just me lol). Has anyone used this unit with high boost setting(15-18) before. Would like to know before I invest in a rocketchip. I will post up pics tomorrow.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
AEM Tru Boost
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »

Rode in my friends DSM with the truboost sitting at about 22lbs and the AEM O2 gauge...

Same set up I plan on running when ever i can choose the next plaything
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

frobro85

AEM Tru Boost
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 03:22:00 AM »

Sorry if the pic looks a bit off, it was early before work.

Well had my first hiccup also on my way to work. I think it might be my turbo acting up but with the spring or wastegate setting at about 4 it liks to spike a little when cold(about 10.5 lbs). I figure its because of the small size of the turbo. Most of the cars I have seen with this controller have been cars with larger motors and turbos. Hopefully the intercooler will help but will be lowering the settings for now. I would have to say the only thing I dont like is the random way the settings are done.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
AEM Tru Boost
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »

Idk I've heard about wacky things happening with small stock turbos like ours, the units don't seem to respond fast enough. Do you have a different wastegate? You can't lower the boost below the wastegate setting which is 7-9lbs. Hopefully you get it worked out.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

frobro85

AEM Tru Boost
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »

It works fine now that I droped the press setting for the wastegate. I know it sounds funky but the aem has a setting that lets you pick when the wastegate starts to see pressure. So before when I had it at 4psi, it basicaly keeps the solinoid closed untill it reaches the setting. so you hit the nail on the head because the turbo is to small and it just makes the turbo more jumpy lol. I set it at 1 for now and its  behaving well. I was not expecting the turbo to jump around faster than the controller could. I'll be getting your chip when my funds improve a little rocket and thanks for the info on the control arm bushings. The ride is perfect now.