TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Shamokin!  (Read 3369 times)

Phillip

Shamokin!
« on: January 26, 2009, 05:45:00 AM »

Well I think I finally did it! On the way to work today I was racing a Charger R/T. I was doing pretty well too. I had my 91 XR2 up to 130mph and all was fine until I looked behind me. An enormous cloud of blue smoke! At first I thought it was the turbo (blew a seal, my ex-wife could probably tell you what that tastes like!) After further investigation it looks like I blew the rings out of the motor. I had blue smoke coming out of the breather tube that feeds into the intake tract and it was pushing ouil past the filler cap, sounds like my 16lbs of boost is going in the wrong direction! I'll know more tonight after I do a compression test on it. I'm kind of hoping it's the turbo! I've been looking for a reason to put the VJ14/VJ11 on it before the weather broke!

JackRobot

Shamokin!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 06:34:00 AM »

Yeah, sounds like an internal engine problem, and not turbo related. Car still run at all?

Let us know what you find.
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 - Project car
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 - Daily driver
1986.5 Nissan Hardbody project minitruck

Yuri

• Old-Timer
Shamokin!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:36:00 AM »

so who won?

Phillip

Shamokin!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:58:00 AM »

Charger R/T vs Capri who the hell you think won!

engine runs, but not well! I'm down a quart of oil I have about 1/4 qt in the trunk I'll need to puppy it on the way home.

Yuri

• Old-Timer
Shamokin!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »

depends on which charger.. the old one or the new one

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Shamokin!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »

Hey Phil!  Did you say your wife blew a seal? Sounds like a joke that involves a penguin,ice cream, and blowing a seal. Can't remember the last time I saw a charger capable of 130mph.  Gus

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Shamokin!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »

Hey Phil! I had the same smoke problem 18 months ago. It came after outrunning a Sube WRX at 135mph. Burned #2 piston. Thats why I advocate an AFR gauge.  Gus

Phillip

Shamokin!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »

Hemi Charger!

Ex-wife!

I run the car up fast about once a week I guess I just hit that one time when everything wasn't quite right. I was just working on it this week end. I installed a HKS J-pipe it seemed to spool a little quicker. It was pretty cold this morining probably running a little lean from the real cold air. I'm not going to get the time tonight to work on it, I have some "honey do's" to take care of. I'm going to have to roll out the 94 XR2 to drive to work tomorrow I really didn't want to do that. The garage is a sh!t hole right now so I'll have to clean it up before I can do anything.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Shamokin!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »

It does sound like a burnt piston. I obliterated 3 pistons about a year ago due to an overboost issue. It was not pleasant.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Phillip

Shamokin!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 06:23:00 AM »

Ok so I have 150,60,150,150 compression on the engine so I have a problem on #2 cylinder. I have just decided to replace the engine with the 93XR2 motor from the car I bought for my son. He had it for 7 months and had 8 accidents in it, every panel on the car is dented. I was going to try and fix it but screw it. The car only has 58K on it. The one in the 91 is a short nose crank any way and I figured it would fail eventually.
I’m  pulling the 93 motor and trans. this week end and I’ll start to do all the upgrades I have been putting off. I now have 2 parts cars instead of one. If anyone needs parts now is the time to speak up. I need to replace the clutch (it was toasty before the mishap).
That dual stage boost controller is sounding better every day! Maybe even an electronic! I think this is the root of the failure. I replaced the J-Pipe with the HKS part and I think it changed the way it was breathing increasing the boost the car saw. Well that and -2 degree weather.