TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Hello and with questions  (Read 3179 times)

D.Smith

Hello and with questions
« on: September 07, 2009, 04:23:00 AM »

Hello from Hotlanta.  First off I want to thank this site for all the info I recieved.  I have a few questions I need to ask though.  I just purchased 91 capri n/a w/o calif that I drove to my mechanic to check out.  Once we got her off the lift it wouldnt start.  Countless of hours later he traced the issue to a couple of things.  ECM, main relay, and cam shaft sensor.  Found a new distributer,used relay but cant find the ecm.

1) ECU/ECM was damaged by heater core to point of I cant see any oem numbers.  I have called mercury dealer and vin number will not match up to any specific oem number on a ecu/ecm.  3 dealers and 3 differant numbers later including a calif emmision code.  I found a site that sells reman ecm but they have quite a few choices to choose from as far as oem number.  Question is are they interchangeable?  Not talking about the differant year but differant oem number.  

2nd question is front bearing assembly.  I found my bearings but the spacer is little tough to find.  Are they reusable?  Is there a place to purchase new?  Should I just leave them alone and repack?  I replaced the cv because of the boot and plan on replacing the rotor but I am looking at those bearing's and wonder what I should do.

Ill probly ask a few more as my mechanic gets closer to getting this up and running.  I have a great old school mechanic that is fitting my lil car around his schedule

Thank you again

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
Hello and with questions
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 05:07:00 AM »

D-
I have a California ECU for sale! email me at cougar1prod@comcast.net and I'll send you details.

As far as your bearings, someone else will surely be able to answer your questions. I cannot.

Having a mechanic that is willing to work with you is a great thing!!  Make sure he has a factory service manual - it is an invaluable tool for your car!

Welcome to the forum!!

-Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Phillip

Hello and with questions
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »

As far as the front hubs are concerned, when you disassemble the hub the bearings will be destroyed. The spacers are reusable, disassemble the hubs one at a time or keep the spacers and hubs together for each side. The spacers set the preload for the bearings and if you mix them up you will inevitably have repetitive bearing failure. The chance that the spacers for each side are the same is very remote.  You will need the seals also make sure that you replace both. You can have them pressed and assembled at a shop that has a hydraulic press. I found in my area that no one likes to do just the pressing job and the cheapest I could find for someone to do the job was $30 per wheel. Since I have several of these cars I decided to buy a tool called a “Hub Shark” it was expensive but since I will use it many times it works for me.

D.Smith

Hello and with questions
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 12:47:00 AM »

CapriType I sent off an email yesterday.  Let me know if you recieved it.

Phillip.  Thank you for that info.  Removing the spacer is there anything special tool or tricks I should know?