Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Brakes/Suspension/Tires/Wheels

HOW-TO: Capri Wheel Bearings

<< < (2/9) > >>

Rocketman:
$30 aint bad... I'd hate to know what a dealer would charge...

Be glad we can do bearings!! On my Isuzu Impulse the rear wheel bearings are non-replaceable or rebuildable...the only option at the moment is junkyard bearings, terrible! No longer available from Isuzu.

bhazard:
Not even available at rockauto?

Rocketman:
Nope. The rear hubs are sealed units - designed to be non-serviceable, when they wear out you replace them. Isuzu stopped making cars, and stopped making replacement parts (there were only 800 RS's sent to North America anyway)

The hub and housing are actually the races themselves, with more or less loose ball bearings inside. The races wear out and being that they are integral with the hub and the housing they cannot be serviced. Sucks! I'm going to be working with one of the guys to cast a new, oversized housing to to try to fit a nice sealed bearing in there.

PCFree:
You installed the outer seal backwards and don't even show seating it all the way (which would be impossible with the stock rotors installed) plus the spacer is not determined by the hub, it is determined by the bearings. If you look at the center hub after the inner bearing is installed, the end doesn't reach past the inner bearing race. Thus, then the outer CV joint presses against the inner race and the hub presses against the outer bearing's inner race, it becomes a clamp that can only press the bearings together as far as the spacer allows. Any hub you use will only be a clamp and have no impact as to how close the bearings are to each other. Thus, when bearings are changed, preload must be checked to find the proper shim thickness. If you just use the same shim and the bearings are from a different manufacturer than the old ones, you may end up with loose bearings or over-tight ones and both situations will burn up bearings. My replacement of bearings moved the shim thickness from a #12 shim to a #9. Shims can be ordered through a Mazda dealership. We have one here in West Michigan that specializes in finding Capri and Probe parts.

350boatracing:
PCFree, how did you know what shim to size to use. Those spacers are internal when the hub is installed on the car. How did you measure?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version